Patio Porch Cover Ideas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

View CSalt's Photo Album My Photos
Patio Porch Cover Ideas

This is a picture of our back patio. I would like to install a patio roof, but the configuration of the current roof lines is giving me some trouble. As you can see, the roof above the backdoor runs down the side-wall of the main house. How would you orient the roof over the patio, to prevent water from leaking in? Is there a way to tie the roof into the side of the house? Or, should I slope the roof away from the main house (left-to-right), underneath the pictured gutters? I want to cover all or the majority of the concrete patio, but not sure how to tie-in, without water leaking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Have a blessed day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM
No Longer Here

View shadowjfaith's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSalt View Post
This is a picture of our back patio. I would like to install a patio roof, but the configuration of the current roof lines is giving me some trouble. As you can see, the roof above the backdoor runs down the side-wall of the main house. How would you orient the roof over the patio, to prevent water from leaking in? Is there a way to tie the roof into the side of the house? Or, should I slope the roof away from the main house (left-to-right), underneath the pictured gutters? I want to cover all or the majority of the concrete patio, but not sure how to tie-in, without water leaking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Have a blessed day.
Some measurements would help a bit. Minimum slope for a shingle roof is 2/12 or about 9 degrees to work properly. I assume you would still want to walk under the low part of the roof so covering the patio may not be possible with the current roof. One recommendation I would make is to avoid changing the roof direction if at all possible. The more shingles going in one direction the better the roof will function. So if it was me I would through the left-to-right roof out the window now.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

To clarify... The cover would be metal roofing supported by posts and would be free standing, or attached via ledger board, underneath current roof line. I am not looking to tie in to structure. Trying to figure if I need to run slope towards camera position, or left to right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
No Longer Here

View shadowjfaith's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
To clarify... The cover would be metal roofing supported by posts and would be free standing, or attached via ledger board, underneath current roof line. I am not looking to tie in to structure. Trying to figure if I need to run slope towards camera position, or left to right.
If metal then your minimum is only 1/4" per foot, and your options are greater. Really just a personal preference at that point, free standing or ledger would work. I would lean towards ledger to keep the roof close to the siding and make sure your flashing is good, and water shouldn't be a problem. One thing I would be concerned about (this completely depends on your location) is snow as a 1/4" per foot is going to have a lot of build up.

I prefer to run with the roof as most cases it's just easier, but you have a few options with your setup, and as stated as long as your flashing is good you shouldn't have any issues.

Attachment 93348

Last edited by shadowjfaith; 07-09-2014 at 03:06 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Sawdust Wrangler

View mobilepaul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I would call your local code enforcement office and ask for a consultation for a future permit. You could ask the questions and they could give you the answers that are pertinent to your area, seeing as you do not have a location posted.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
What's the goal? Would you use the patio in the snow or rain, or are you just trying to make shade for sunny days at the picnic table? If shade is the goal, there's always trellis and roof of vines.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input. The structure will basically be a "pergola" with a sloped roof. I've constructed two before, but never had the side-wall of the house (as you see in the picture) to deal with. My primary concern is the water coming down the wall, and if I should tie-in to that wall, or not, for the purpose of keeping off the water. Most of the water will simply hit the roof that is above the backdoor, then fall on the roof of the new covering, but some will splash against the side of the wall (on the left), and then need a place to go. Transferring that water to the new roof is the tricky part. The other option is to run a ledger board along that wall, then run the roof angle "left to right". Again, thanks for the input.

Tags
metal roof, patio roof, porch roof, roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode