Park bench plans - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-30-2014, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

View bkeefer2000's Photo Album My Photos
Park bench plans

Hi
I'm interested in making some park benches for advertising purposes. I bought molds for making concrete bench legs and I have to decide on the type of wood for the slats. I'm located in upstate NY, so cold snowy winters, hot and humid summers. I need help with the following:
1) What kind of wood would be best and is available at Home Depot or somewhere like that? (If I could get maybe a choice of 3 in different price brackets and the expected lifespan.) I don't want to do any wood treatments myself if I can avoid it.
2) The backrests seem to have a slight curve. Would an ad printed on plywood be flexible enough to bolt onto the backrest? If so, what thickness do you think would be best? The molds can be seen here if it's helpful to get an idea of what I'm doing: http://concretebenchmolds.com/
Thanks for you time.
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
With Home Depot wood I believe I would go with pressure treated pine 2x4's. Try to find some that is already dry. Some of it is so fresh you can feel the water in it. Some of it is just heavy. Try to find some boards that are nearly as light as regular 2x4's. They really should be painted or use a spar varnish if a clear finish is desired. You could also use a deck finish however it needs to sit for weeks before someone sits on it.

As far as the plywood sign, I believe I would use some synthetic material. Plywood doesn't hold up well in weather. The only one I would be willing to use would be treated plywood and it is usually too rough to make something finished like a sign. How big is the sign?
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
bkeefer2000 (10-01-2014)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve. The sign would be 15 inches tall and as wide as the bench (approx 7ft). I think you're right about using synthetic material. I'll speak to a printing company about it.
Regards,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 PM

View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
bench wood

I grew up in upstate NY and the last time I was back visiting my mother, we took a drive to get her out of the retirement home. We came across a few lumber mills that had a lot of hardwood, you might want to contact a few in your area and see what they recommend. The price from the saw mill might be a while lot more reasonable than the big box stores.

If I were going to make a bench for myself in that climate I would use Ipe which is not cheap but, it will last a lifetime.

Jack
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jack. It turns out you're right. Home Depot was definitely not the cheapest!

Tags
diy bench, park benches

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode