Pallet Adironack Furniture - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

View MissionIsMyMission's Photo Album My Photos
Pallet Adironack Furniture

Years ago when I found myself unemployed, I started cruising the allyes for pallets. I found a mfg with a bunch of large ones and asked if I could have some and he said take all you want. I loaded up my pick up and went home. Found some plans in an old WOOD magazine and voila' came up with this. I winged it on the foot rest and table. Set em out on the curb and in less than an hour I had my first customer. Sold the set for $75 bucks. She took em home and told her neighbors and within a week I had sold 3 more sets. By then end of the summer I had sold 10 sets. I still make em today. The mfg still calls me and asks if I want to pick up the pallets before he detroys em. I have bought a LOT of tools for my shop with FREE pallet wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
There's a good success story. Furniture looks good. What do you finish with?

post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM

View gabeleon's Photo Album My Photos
Ant chance you could share those plans? I am able to get free pallets from a local cabinet shop here in town and would like to try making some outdoor furniture. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

The plans are long gone. I made hardboard patterns and use them. I guess I could take measurements off them and make some plans. I'll see what I can come up with. I sell them unfinished and un-sealed. Let the buyers take care of that. If I paint them, I use Rustoleum Oil Based paint thinned 20% with Acetone and shoot it with my HVLP spray gun. Two Coats.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 AM

View nmacdonald's Photo Album My Photos
After seeing your post on the "pallet wood work project". I searched for you chair and found this thread. The picture is not working. Do you have and pictures you could upload?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-08-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I noticed the Original Pic is no longer posting. I'll try and re-post it here. No plans but Back is 34" tall, Seat is 21" wide x 16" deep. Legs are 36" long. Front Vertical Legs are 21" Tall. Arms are 32" Long. Seat Slats are 1 1/2" wide. Back is made from 1 - 1x6 and the rest are 1x4's and 1x2's Arms and long legs are 1x6's. Vertical Legs are 1x4's. Front of seat is 14" up from the Ground. You can get all of your angles based off that measurement. I made hardboard patterns from the first prototype chair and then the rest were easy to trace out. It takes about 4 Hours to cut out and predrill all the holes for all the pieces and then about another hour to assemble. I use this formula to seal the wood. 1 Part Tung Oil, 2 parts Mineral Spirits, and on Part Marine Varnish. I saturate the wood until it pools up then wipe of the excess. Usually takes 3-4 coats. I pay close attention to the end grain. I've not had any problems using this formula and I've had some of my furniture outside for over 3 years.

Still Got ALL my Fingers!!!

Last edited by MissionIsMyMission; 10-08-2014 at 02:37 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool! I am just beginning to think about starting a project. I wonder where I can get free pallets? This design looks like something I could possibly tackle. Also thanks for the sealing formula - I have also been considering making outdoor furniture, but my patio isn't covered, so if need to seal it pretty well since it would get rained/snowed on.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-18-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I check Craigslist and cruise the Alleys and loading docks on Sundays looking for them. You'd be surprised what you'll find.

Still Got ALL my Fingers!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode