Woodworking Talk banner

New to woodworking and need advice

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  B Coll 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and new to woodworking, at least where it comes to furniture. Have some experience with decking and framing but far from a professional.

My son is going off to college next month and instead of purchasing a bed frame we are looking at building one that will he can have for many years to come but will give him lots of storage space in his small bedroom. Saw a couple of pictures of one like this made by a person on the web but no instructions.

I drew this up in Sketchup and wanted to get some advice before putting together. Plan to use 3/4 cabinet grade plywood for the boxes. I put a 16" box on the end that can be removed to make it a Queen or include to make it a King. The support boards shown are for king so would need to be shorter for queen. This will allow for storage cubes, small plastic totes or just a spot to toss shoes.

I am planning to use butt joints with screws but to get a clean look on the end I have the top sitting inside instead of on top of the outer peices. The floor of the boxes are sitting 3/4" off the floor with only the trim sitting on the floor except for the legs of the boxes. The back peice will screw into the top and bottom peice.

Have it drawn as 7 boxes but also could make the 2 sides as a single unit. Thinking for the weight it may be better to not make 1 peice? Also should have just enough room when in Queen configuration to put the extra box under the supports.

Hoping to get some advice on changes before we start.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post.

Looks like a good design except for the weight of the entire project, but that may not be an issue. I didn't dive into the design, only gave it a quick glance, so take with a grain of salt what I've said about weight.

Others should be chiming in soon.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready.

David

#3 · (Edited)
I'm very new to woodworking as well. That bed you are drew up is almost identical to the one im making.

I found plans online and modified. Maybe it will help You, plans say to use pocket holes though not butt joints.

I made mine in the 3 pieces as described. I can carry the pieces with the drawers out fairly easy.

https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/classic-storage-bed-queen

#5 ·
Thanks for the link. I looked all over and was having trouble finding what I wanted. I see several things I like in this so will be stealing to add to mine. :smile2:
I still like the removable section in the foot so this can be King or Queen so will keep that.

#4 ·
I know this isn't going to be light. If I make the sides as 1 peice I am guessing it will be about 100 lbs per box. If I make the sides into 2 peices I think these would be about 50 lbs and easy enough for 1 person to move. If I screw or bolt these together there will be no movement when assembled.

#7 ·
Here's my thought .....

I like the design! I would make 6 boxes all the same....height, length and depth. At the foot end, the filler box will just be sized to fit after the rest are made. You might come out a tad long, but that's OK.
This greatly simplifies construction and makes for multiple same dimension pieces. Join the each of the 2 side boxes together with a couple of 1/4" bolts and washers for disassembly. Join the 2 ends to the ends of the sides the same way. The small filler box can float and be removable for "secret" storage of longer items ... brooms, mops, fishing rods, firearms etc......
I don't think you need to tie the sides together other than if you drop a pin or screw in a few of the slats. This will prevent them from separating during unforeseen events ..... :|

Reactions: Nick2727
#8 ·
We started this today. Cut out all the plywood parts and starting to stain. I made some changes to the plan I posted and I think it will be stable. We are going to do the boxes seperate so there will be 4 for the sides and 3 on the bottom if used as a King but right now it will be used as a Queen so will only be 2 on the bottom.

#9 ·
Completed the build. Attached are a couple of pics and the final Sketchup file. Made it in 7 boxes with 3/8 in bolts to hold it together. This will be easy for use to break down for the upstairs apt. but makes it very stable. The small 7th box will allow it to switch between a Queen and a King for future use.

Attachments

#11 ·
Looks good and strong. my only concern is if someone sits in the middle of the U 48" isn't impossible for slats under a mattress but they may sag and creek more than I'd like. For the queen mattress setup you've got there probably not a problem.

Either way looks nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.