Need some help or suggestions. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By Reggi Williams

post #1 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

View Reggi Williams's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need some help or suggestions.

Hi i'm new here! My names Reggi and i'm fully confused. Recently built my first chicken coop by myself totally freehand, and its gotten me a bit into the wood working hobby. Now I wanna do something not freehand something nice looking and I got my next build in mind. I wanna go and buy materials and stuff while I have the capitol but I'm stuck. Ill post a pic of what I need to build but I have no clue how. Got no plans no help or any measurements or dimensions of this thing. All I got was the original poster who said in 2008 that its probably 3x3x4 but im not really sure. But if someone could guide me on how to get started i could really use that help. I tried to use sketch up but im no good at that program. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking chicken coop, Reggi! And welcome to the forum! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

I'm not following what you're wanting to build. Are you having trouble posting photos? Looks like you got the chicken coop photos posted ok. Or are you having trouble drawing what you want? Just sketch it out, take a photo, and post that.

David
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 08:03 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Is that a chicken coop?

It looks like a pigeon hotel to me or some other type of bird dwelling.

Anyway, what ever it is, is more of a construction/carpentry project than woodworking. The scale of it seems on the order of 4Ft X 5ft X 2.5 ft. or so. It's a simple shed, with fibreglass roof panels, a window with a fold down tray, a hinged door, and a folding ventilation opening, all common construction items. A circular saw and jig saw should be all you need to make the cuts. A screw drill and nail gun would be great for assembly.

We can't help with dimensions or plans, but layout your sizes right on the plywood, double check your lines for square and make your cuts. Probably use 3/4" pressure treated plywood. Allow it to dry out before starting, at least a week. The sooner you assemble it, the less chances it will warp as that plywood is prone to do.

Post up photos of your progress and ask questions you need help with!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys had to step away for a while but thanks for the welcome. To answer @difalkner the photos I posted isn't mine. Its the inspiration I wanted to build off of and I couldn't figure out the size of the thing for the life of me.. Its a pigeon loft. tho i did build my chicken coop but that I haven't posted here.

And thats for the tip im gonna collect some supplys soon. I already have a circular saw and a drill, missing the nail gun but a hammer should do if the drill doesn't... hopefully.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

BTW this is the thing I built. Did it completely off top of my head.. made a lot of mistakes and some i'm still fixing today but i did it lol that's why i wanna start this project off right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51679329_2251291884931869_3405933044530413568_n.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	373129  

Name:	51996444_2113661602046472_1449964427800477696_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	373131  

Name:	52407857_2316705725280019_5918264947325796352_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	373133  

difalkner likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Reggie,

Welcome to the forum...!!!

The Coop you built looks fantastic...!!!...Great job!

When you can give more information, even a rough sketch, I think most here would love to help you improve your skill sets in woodworking.

However, if you can build a Chicken Coop like in your photo..."totally freehand"....(with only hand tools?) then you are well into becoming a great woodworker, as that level of carpentry skill is well beyond what many DIYers just starting out could pull of as their first project...That is a very respectable woodworking project for being your first one!!!

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #7 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I did half of it with hand tools then i was forced to by a saw.. and then it started now i'm trying to build other things.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

To clearify.. The top pic of the small loft is not by me but i admire it and i wanna try to duplicate it. Rereading I can see how poorly i used my words.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggi Williams View Post
To clearify.. The top pic of the small loft is not by me but i admire it and i wanna try to duplicate it. Rereading I can see how poorly i used my words.
No problem, happens a lot but now we understand. Btw, I see you're a little south of us. If you get up to the top left corner of the state give me a holler.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #10 of 10 Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok cool! Got a new car so we might plan a road trip soon ill keep that in mind. Btw i'm doing a little price check online do you think 19/32 in. plywood would work for this? I cant use anything treated and I wont totally be in the elements all the time. How long does a piece of wood like that last generally?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode