Need help upgrading/rebuilding my bathroom cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

View RVC1's Photo Album My Photos
Need help upgrading/rebuilding my bathroom cabinets

I'm looking to upgrade the look of my bathroom vanity. Instead of replacing it completely I thought I'd just swap the panels. So instead of the plastic-like white, I'd like it to be a nice walnut wood. Basically simple flat panels, like the existing ones. Question is, how? (I'm not experienced in this).

This is the cabinet:

Solid panels of walnut are expensive. Would the right way to do this be to use composite plywood? Like?:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia...1765/203552991

If that would work, how to handle the edges? Some of that iron-on wood edging? That would be simple. Or, could I do solid wood edges, like:

Or (would this be difficult?):

With solid wood I could round the corner a bit, or cut a simple handle into it (or not). Could I do that with plywood?

Or perhaps there is a more cost effective solid wood that would look nice?

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 06:09 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would go to a cabinet door replacement company. If you want to do it yourself, then perhaps veneer or even faced ply or hardboard. with edging strip.

https://www.kitchenrestoration.co.uk...hoCHv0QAvD_BwE

This company in UK, bound to be several in US.

johnep
post #3 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM
English Bloke

View GrantCrawley.uk's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would probably search the Internet for walnut veneered MDF, it's easy to work with and cut (but make sure you wear a mask). Most places selling it will sell (or give) you some edging veneer too. With it being a bathroom, ask them if they can supply moisture-resistant MDF, I would also ask them if they can supply them cut to size and already edged.

Your existing cabinet looks like Ikea or similar, so the fixings no doubt use 5mm holes. Measure the hole positions and, drill them using a depth stop to match the existing holes, you should be able to re-use the drawer hardware, although you may want to change the handles.

I hope that's helpful.

Grant.

Blogger | Designer | Maker | Entrepreneur | https://grantcrawley.uk | IG: @grantcrawley.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
The big box plywood isn't the best. Get a good cabinet grade plywood at a lumber yard or hardwood/plywood supplier. You could attach solid wood edging with biscuits which would be quicker than the routing approach. You could round over the edges with a trim router.
Biscuiting is very easy to do and has a minimal learning curve. Alignment is foolproof.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 06-02-2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add info
post #5 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

View RVC1's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the input guys!

I'll consider the MDF option, but I may just go with plywood. I'm still considering hardwood for the drawer panels and plywood for the box, but only if I think of another wood I like, walnut would be too expensive. And yes Grant, it's Ikea. That's my thinking, I should be able to follow the holes on the existing piece and use the same hardware. And no, I don't want those handles! I'm thinking of cutting into the wood for a natural handle. Something like:

I'll also replace the legs with some tapered wood legs.

As for the big box wood, I didn't realize it would be a problem. I'll check a good lumber yard and see what they have, it may be worth the extra expense, you're right. Not to mention, I'll get a better sense of things looking at the actual wood. Not sure about my options considering Covid and store hours, we'll see.

As I'm thinking about the wood type, I'm wondering if I could get away with plywood, without having to deal with the edging? If I soften the corners and finish the wood, seeing the plywood layers can be interesting? Like:

Of course it would be best to achieve a clean hardwood appearance. But with edging, I couldn't do the cut-out handles, would need to be either hardwood or plywood with no edging.

It may be best to purchase some cheap wood and practice, try some things out.

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 04:33 PM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVC1 View Post
Thanks for the input guys!

I'll consider the MDF option, but I may just go with plywood. I'm still considering hardwood for the drawer panels and plywood for the box, but only if I think of another wood I like, walnut would be too expensive. And yes Grant, it's Ikea. That's my thinking, I should be able to follow the holes on the existing piece and use the same hardware. And no, I don't want those handles! I'm thinking of cutting into the wood for a natural handle. Something like:

I'll also replace the legs with some tapered wood legs.

As for the big box wood, I didn't realize it would be a problem. I'll check a good lumber yard and see what they have, it may be worth the extra expense, you're right. Not to mention, I'll get a better sense of things looking at the actual wood. Not sure about my options considering Covid and store hours, we'll see.

As I'm thinking about the wood type, I'm wondering if I could get away with plywood, without having to deal with the edging? If I soften the corners and finish the wood, seeing the plywood layers can be interesting? Like:

Of course it would be best to achieve a clean hardwood appearance. But with edging, I couldn't do the cut-out handles, would need to be either hardwood or plywood with no edging.

It may be best to purchase some cheap wood and practice, try some things out.

Thanks guys!
That clean plywood edge you see is usually gotten with Baltic Birch plywood which is void free. A good cabinet grade plywood might give you that look but no guarantee that there won't be voids. You could do a cutout with a solid wood edge but it would take some work to do. You could also use iron/glue on edging to cover the plywood. Not sure how it will hold up in a high-use moisture prone area i.e. the bathroom.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
Not sure how it will hold up in a high-use moisture prone area i.e. the bathroom.
close proximity to the shower (pic 1 and 2) would indicate staying away from any wood product
or at least save the ikea fronts for a few years, as that may be all the longer wood lasts with shower spray

Tags
cabinet, hardwood, plywood, walnut, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode