need help with my design - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tucker298
  • 1 Post By tucker298

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

View tucker298's Photo Album My Photos
need help with my design

Me and my wife make these American flags for friends and for retirement gifts. I'm in the military and currently over seas so I'm having to use pics that I have on my computer but I think they will be sufficient. I don't know what the part I'm looking for is even called or how to go about googling it. I'm a car guy and forums have given me so much help and info in the car world I figured why not turn to a woodworking forum. Sorry for the long intro but it's my first post and wanted to give some background into myself and the problem before just being a stranger that just wants answers. So heres the problem, we make distressed wooden american flags (pics below) I wanted to put one of our flags in front of "shadow box" as we call it. The box behind the flag is 3" deep and slightly smaller than the flag. I attached the flag to the box via drawer sliders so you could slide the flag up and reveal whats in the box behind it as it hangs on the wall. The problem is I need something to hold and keep the flag up so you can take out or place things in the box. The weight of the flag is a couple pounds. I tried a ball bearing detent but its not strong enough, I'm thinking I need something dowel like that always has pressure against the back of the flag and when the flag raises past it, it pops out and the flag can then rest on it, and to put the flag down you simply press the dowel pin back in and slide the flag down. Hopefully between the pics and write up you can adequetely assess my problem. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pistolflag.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	362826  

Brian72 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location. You can add your name to your signature line and it will show in each post.

That's a nice looking piece you've done. I may have to borrow that for our house...

Can you use a dowel with a spring behind so that it's like a spring loaded detent?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 8 Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Hey David, sorry for the lack of personal info, fixed it and thanks for the heads up on that!

As far as a dowel with a spring loaded detent, unless i'm not thinking of it correctly, what will keep the dowel from springing out? Your idea is on the right track as far as what I'm looking for. Once the flag raises above the dowel then the spring would make it protrude far enough out for the flag to rest its weight on, then push the pin with your finger back in far enough that the flag can slide back down. What would keep the dowel pin from springing all the way out once the flag raises above it?

-Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Maybe something like this? its called a shutter repair pin, I could router it in to where just the pin is protruding but I don't think the pin is nearly long enough. Hopefully the pic gets a better idea of what I'm trying to describe. Again sorry for the lack of knowledge on this, trying my best to describe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring-loaded-shutter-repair-pin-pocket-door-pin-pin-hinge-1.gif.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	362860  

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg spring-loaded-shutter-repair-pin-pocket-door-pin-pin-hinge-3.jpeg (57.1 KB, 48 views)

-Brent
post #5 of 8 Old 06-14-2018, 12:42 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
A simple solution would be to drill a hole through side and bottom section of drawer rail just below where top rail ends for a pin to be pushed through. Hang the pin on inside on a chain so it doesn't go missing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Or slide the flag down instead of up. Have a catch at the top to hold it in place. Maybe a lock.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
Hey David, sorry for the lack of personal info, fixed it and thanks for the heads up on that!

As far as a dowel with a spring loaded detent, unless i'm not thinking of it correctly, what will keep the dowel from springing out? Your idea is on the right track as far as what I'm looking for. Once the flag raises above the dowel then the spring would make it protrude far enough out for the flag to rest its weight on, then push the pin with your finger back in far enough that the flag can slide back down. What would keep the dowel pin from springing all the way out once the flag raises above it?
Put a screw and washer from the back into the center of the dowel. You'll have to leave room for the screw to protrude when the flag is down. That should keep it attached and then all you have to do is push it back in enough to slide the flag back down.

Thanks for completing your profile, Brent!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

David,

Yep! i can picture exactly what you're talking about, its simple yet very effective. I'll try that, it should work! Thanks for all the help!!!!

-Brent
difalkner likes this.

-Brent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode