Need help figuring out amount of material? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

View Fizzabit's Photo Album My Photos
Need help figuring out amount of material?

Hello, Can someone help me figure how much material is needed for a small butcher block top.
I need to make a butcher block top with end grain facing up.
1 1/2 thick
21 wide and
42 long.
I will be purchasing 8/4 board from my lumber yard.
The guy there said 48 board feet is required which sounds like way to much.
They quoted me a price for Walnut just over $700
Is there a calculator I can use ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 06:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut because of the open grain isn't one of the best woods to use for a butcher block that is used. The open pores of the wood would hold bacteria a lot easier. Then if you are going to use a dark wood like that you might consider mixing it with a lighter wood such as maple for appearance.

Figuring the material, it's best to think a little oversized while you are gluing it up and then afterwards cut it down to a finished size. Your 8/4 wood should finish out to 1 3/4" thick. This would make for 25 rows of wood 22" wide and 1 9/16" long. Allowing for the saw cut you would need a panel 1 3/4" x 22" x 43" long. This would amount to a little over 13 board feet of wood. Including about 30% waste you might purchase 17 board feet.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 09:29 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
A board foot is a volume of wood that is 12 inches x 12 inches x 1 inch.

You can calculate board feet by multiplying the length, width, and height in inches, then divide by 144.

21 x 42 x 1.5 / 144 = 9.2 board feet. The rest is waste from cutting, planing, trimming, shaping, and sanding, plus the excess scraps that you will save for future projects. :-)

Steve's estimate is for a slightly thicker cutting board than the one the OP specified. His estimate for the amount of lumber needed seems reasonable to me.

Another important point:
A cutting board this size weighs a lot. A 21 x 42 x 1.5 inch cutting board made from walnut would weight over 30 pounds (nearly 14 kilograms). My spouse would not want a cutting board that heavy.

(Here is the math, which you can safely ignore: Walnut is roughly 40 pounds per cubic foot. That's 3.3 pounds per board foot. 9.2 x 3.3 = 30.4 lb; = 13.8 kg)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2019, 01:39 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/e...lation-182145/

There was a thread on this a while ago, might be some helpful info in there

-T

Time and titles do not matter in the bonds between people. - Tomoyo Sakagami (Clannad After Story)
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2019, 05:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Coming in late ...Let's do the math:

A width of 21" and length of 42" by 1.5" thick.

21 X 42 X 1.5 = 1323 cu in

1323 ./. 144 = 9.1875 BF (no waste allowance)

Allowing for waste and saw cuts 20%, add another 2 BF.

Call it 12 BF @ $9.70 for 8/4 = $112.00. Pricing will vary with your location and whether the boards are surface 4 S.

https://www.woodvendors.com/walnut-lumber/

If Walnut is an issue, maybe Teak?

You will NOT carry this or move this around, it's too heavy. It should be used like the old fashioned ones, with legs attached. Unless we are missing something ...... ?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by Leo G; 01-01-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

View Fizzabit's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys for all the help.
My wife will not have to move anything because its going to be a butcher block countertop.
I have already built a small mobile kitchen island with 3 drawers and 2 raised panel doors.
Thanks for helping me understand that board feet is volume.
Im guessing the term lineal feet is strictly the length of any given wood.
Like if I purchased 8 feet of 1x12 board that would be called 8 lineal feet of that particular size.
Do I have that correct?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2019, 07:01 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzabit View Post
Thanks guys for all the help.
My wife will not have to move anything because its going to be a butcher block countertop.
I have already built a small mobile kitchen island with 3 drawers and 2 raised panel doors.
Thanks for helping me understand that board feet is volume.
Im guessing the term lineal feet is strictly the length of any given wood.
Like if I purchased 8 feet of 1x12 board that would be called 8 lineal feet of that particular size.
Do I have that correct?
On a 1x12x8' lineal feet and board feet are the same. The board is considered 12" wide even though it is 11 1/4" wide. It's considered that because it was 12" wide when it came out of the log. It's after straightening and machining the edges 3/4" was removed in the process. Anyway board feet and square feet are the same thing in a way. If it's 4/4 wood it's the same but if it's 8/4 it's twice the square feet because it's twice as thick as 4/4.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2019, 01:15 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Carefully a guy at work did this and when he went to lift it cracked in half. Lots of support...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode