need help from exterior door builders - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

View etscc69's Photo Album My Photos
need help from exterior door builders

A client of mine who has had me do other builds for him has asked if I would be interested in building him an exterior door but using the glass from an old farmhouse door of his . It is a 32" door and will have about 8" on all four sides of door with the glass in the middle equally spaced on all sides. I have never built any doors and would like input as to what would be the best way to do this as far as the joints of the door . I am going to laminate cherry wood for this project. Thanks in advance for your help....steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by etscc69 View Post
A client of mine who has had me do other builds for him has asked if I would be interested in building him an exterior door but using the glass from an old farmhouse door of his . It is a 32" door and will have about 8" on all four sides of door with the glass in the middle equally spaced on all sides. I have never built any doors and would like input as to what would be the best way to do this as far as the joints of the door . I am going to laminate cherry wood for this project. Thanks in advance for your help....steve
How are you equipped? For what you are doing it would be ideal to have a 12" jointer, planer,table saw,shaper and a doweling jig. What you would need the jointer for is lumber is seldom straight enough to make the stiles. It's easier to get lumber in the rough and flatten it on a jointer before sending through a planer. What I did before I bought the jointer is buy a lot more 8/4 lumber than what I needed and picked out the straightest boards. Sometimes there still wasn't enough straight boards and I would end up buying more but I ended up using it on other applications. The shaper was used to run the coping and sticking. A person could substitue a router table and get the job done but you might have to make some extensions to run 80" long 8/4 lumber on. The coping and sticking alone is insufficient to hold the door together so in addition I use 1/2" x 5" long dowels in the joints. If it is an exterior door I use a waterproof glue such as titebond III to assemble it.

Since it is a glass door the sticking may have a profile which has the molding on both sides of the door. I go ahead and run it like that and take a blank knife and remove the molded edge off one side of the door. While the sticking is set up I just run some 3/4" wood through the shaper and rip it off on a table saw to make the glass stop. This door set that I have shows the sticking you would use with a solid panel door. The coping knife just cuts one side at a time for that occasion when there is a glass door made. The coping is just run on the face side.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode