Need a good CAD Program for free? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

View Bearcreek's Photo Album My Photos
Need a good CAD Program for free?

I dont know how many know of this...but I just ran accross it. If I werent already using AutoCAD I would use this my self. I downloaded it and checked it out and it looks pretty good. Let me know how you like it!!

http://www.doublecad.com/Products/Do...0/Default.aspx

Heres whats on their website:

Better Drafting & Detailing™ For Free

Need an extra AutoCAD LT® seat for drafting & detailing?
DoubleCAD™ XT is an AutoCAD LT work-alike. But free.

DoubleCAD™ XT is a great companion with AutoCAD® -- and if you are a Google SketchUp™ user wanting to go from concept-to-construction drawings -- or have an older copy of AutoCAD LT® that can't read the latest AutoCAD® files -- DoubleCAD™ XT is an invaluable companion to SketchUp™ and AutoCAD LT®, too.

With so many new, innovative features, you might even think DoubleCAD™ XT is an upgrade for AutoCAD LT®:
  • Better drafting
  • Better detailing
  • Self-healing walls (ADT compatible)
  • Self-aligning blocks
  • Transparent fills
  • Draw order by layer
  • Bezier curves
  • Flatten 3D to 2D views
  • Hatch pattern editor
  • Advanced polyline editing
  • Automatic scaling of units between drawings
  • Parametric variable palette
  • Embed/bind image files in drawing
  • Input multiple unit types on-the-fly
  • Snap prioritization
  • Brush editor
  • Smart dimensions
  • Special line, arc, and circle tools
  • Multiline and fixed ratio ellipses tools
  • Meet-Two-Lines and Convert-to-Curve modify tools
  • Import xrefs
  • Superior workflow with Google™ SketchUp™ and SketchUp™ Pro (including new v7)
  • Open & save .DWG, .DXF, and .DWF formats from AutoCAD® R14 to 2009
... and more

Familiar But Improved
If you are an AutoCAD LT® user, DoubleCAD™ XT will immediately feel familiar. Familiar menu, menu items, tools, icons, command line, keystrokes... even a familiar intelligent cursor.
But -- maybe more importantly -- you will feel welcomed improvements as well.
Focus on Drafting & Detailing
Effective drafting and detailing are the heart of CAD productivity. DoubleCAD™ XT employs a large selection of line, arc, curve, and spline tools, so that no matter the situation you have got the right tool for the job. When used with DoubleCAD™ XT snaps, modification tools, and drawing aids, you will be able to quickly draft and document your designs with outstanding flexibility.
Powerful tools such as custom brush styles, transparencies, and smart dimensions also greatly enhance detailing. No need to buy a separate hatch pattern creator, DoubleCAD™ XT even comes with its own.
Features You've Been Waiting For

Surprise, DoubleCAD™ XT has the features you've been waiting for... things like transparent fills, draw order by layer, bezier curves, flatten 3D to 2D views, hatch pattern editor, advanced polyline editing, automatically scale units between drawings, parametric variable palette, embed/bind image files in a drawing, input multiple unit types on-the-fly, and more. The stuff you want... today... for free.
Architectural Power
Architectural users will like intelligent self-healing walls that are ADT compatible (a considerable improvement over AutoCAD LT®'s double-line tool).
Any block can be used as a custom architectural element that will automatically align to self-healing walls when inserted.
Advanced handle-based editing of selected objects gives you instant access to sizing, scaling, moving, rotating, and positioning without selecting multiple tools.
Brush styles, including hatch patterns, can be created using bitmaps, transparency, and full color. Hatch patterns can even be used in layered combination for a better expression of your design concept.
Unique and Compelling Tools
DoubleCAD™ XT also has productivity tools not found in AutoCAD LT® that can accelerate the drawing experience.
Special line, arc, and circle tools automatically create tangent, parallel, and perpendicular entities without snaps, allowing the user to proceed without resetting their snap modes.
Tools such as multiline, bezier curves, and fixed ratio ellipses extend the types of entities you can create, expediting drawing production.
And modify tools, such as meet-two-lines and convert-to-curve, eliminate the use of cumbersome tools found in other CAD applications.
Compatible... Especially Workflow Compatible
DoubleCAD™ XT is .DWG compatible, as you would expect.

What you may not expect is a DoubleCAD™ .DWG file, containing ADT-compatible walls and self-aligning blocks, can be brought into AutoCAD® or AutoCAD LT® and designs retain their self-healing properties.
This intelligent behavior can save hours of adjustment and iteration within AutoCAD® products and is yet another reason why DoubleCAD™ XT a great AutoCAD® companion. With all the time and effort you will save, DoubleCAD™ XT is a no-brainer way to kick-start an AutoCAD® project.

You may not expect DoubleCAD™ XT to enhance workflow with Google™ SketchUp™, either, but it will.

For example, DoubleCAD™ XT:
  • Imports all visible geometry, layers, and components
  • Converts all SketchUp™ components to DoubleCAD™ blocks to optimize drawing performance
  • Creates a paper space from each SketchUp™ scene, thereby saving time by automatically creating viewports with the correct layer visibility and 2D or perspective view propoerties. These paperspace views are also immediately ready for dimensioning and annotation
DoubleCAD™ lets you develop construction documents quickly from SketchUp™ models. AutoCAD® and AutoCAD LT® don't come close.
No Catches
We're trying to shake up the CAD world. We won't do that unless we have something special.
DoubleCAD™ XT is a full-powered 2D CAD application -- one that you already know how to use -- and is free with none of the usual limitations:
We're not constraining printing, saving, file sizes... we're not including untimely time-outs... we're not even constraining the software license -- our free DoubleCAD™ XT can be used for unlimited personal and commercial use.
Our hope is that as you need even more power, you'll consider upgrading to our enhanced DoubleCAD™ XT Pro product or DoubleCAD™ plug-ins as available.
Based On Award-Winning CAD Code
DoubleCAD™ XT is based on IMSI/Design's award-winning CAD code with over two million copies sold worldwide.
A great companion to AutoCAD® in .DWG shops. And the CAD of choice for Google™ SketchUp™ users.

.....It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. ~ Hank Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Huh?

View wolfmanyoda's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the link, I'll check this out.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Huh?

View wolfmanyoda's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't play with it for long, didn't get much time, but it does look very promising. I'm going to enjoy this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM

View dog_soldier's Photo Album My Photos
looks to be a good program for windows users
i use Ubuntu Linux on my main computer
if you are a linux user here are lots of CAD programs, most are free
1) Varkon.
2) Linuxcad. [Prop, ~100$]
3) Varicad. [Prop]
4) Cycas. [Prop]
5) Tomcad.
6) Thancad.
7) Fandango (alpha-version).
8) Lignumcad.
9) Giram.
10) Jcad.
11) QSCad.
12) FreeEngineer.
13) Ocadis.
14) PythonCAD.
15) OpenCascade
which i got here http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html then scroll down to where it says 9) Scientific and special programs and look for CAD/CAM/CAE
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM

View jkristia's Photo Album My Photos
interesting, they added the autocad command line interface to TurboCAD and give it away for free - pretty cool.
I have both ACAD and TurboCAD and I like both.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristia View Post
interesting, they added the autocad command line interface to TurboCAD and give it away for free - pretty cool.
That interesting....I have never run Turbo but find their integrating different aspects of two good programs intriguing.

.....It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. ~ Hank Aaron
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM

View jkristia's Photo Album My Photos
ok, spend another 5 minutes with the app, and already found several differences (or missing features) in this command line compared to ACADs command line, but it still seems to be a great app and you cant beat the price.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
ok, spend another 5 minutes with the app, and already found several differences (or missing features) in this command line compared to ACADs command line, but it still seems to be a great app and you cant beat the price.
No..you cant beat the price. I LOVE the quality software companies that go out to the consumer that cant afford high end software and deliver to them a product of very good quality.

I would love to spend more time with it if I werent so busy because it looks like a fun app. Have you found out if it has 3d capability? Or does that come with the purchased "Pro" model?

Usually I run AutoCAD 2007 and Architectural Desktop 2006 on my CAD station but if I am on the job site and want to deliver a quick drawing I will run AutoCAD r14. I think I will put this DoubleCAD on my laptop and give it a try.

What do you find missing jkristia? You mention something bout the command line...I too am old school and like using the command line versus menus and buttons.

Thanks

Tim

post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Hey J...I just called tech support because I couldnt figure a few things out about the program and come to find out you were correct. They, DoubleCAD uses the engine from TurboCAD (which they own) and they used the interface from AutoCAD. It seems the things I couldnt figure out(some issues with paperspace) was the way TurboCAD runs. Since I have never have run Turbo it goes to say I was trying to manipulate paerspace like AutoCAD. But anyway I find it to be a pretty good program for such a small footprint it leaves on your PC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode