Need big time help with small project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 16Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

View konjur1's Photo Album My Photos
Need big time help with small project

Hi,

I haven't done any major woodwork in a long time. Mostly, as I am an artist and a senior, I just paint or fiddle around with small stuff. I now live in senior housing and need some help or ideas with what I can build/make to help me get my mobility scooter IN and OUT of my small apartment. These efficientcy apartments are nice but their hallways are very narrow. I use the scooter a lot just riding around shooting photos for my artwork; I am not infirmed, yet, although if I keep lifting that scooter like I am...I will be! I pretty much walk everywhere except when I am out and about with my scooter with my camera.

This is the problem, the scooter I have (see pic) is "long" almost 6ft long. If it were shorter, no problem, but unfortunately it is NOT! The problem with it is that to exit my apartment door the hallway is too narrow to back the scooter all the way out; I have to constantly grab the bottom frame of the back of the scooter just above the back wheels and physically lift it up and slide it over an inch or two, which is all I can do because it is quite heavy and hurts my back too much to do anymore than that. I constantly have to lift it and move it sideways because those back wheels won't budge (naturally because they are rubber) when being pushed sideways. So I have to lift it 5 or 6 times till I have the scooter in position where I can turn the front wheels and finally get it out in the hallway, fully. I tried putting those 'slider" things I saw on TV under the wheels that makes moving furniture, easier but that didn't work out too well. I find taking the scooter out backwards is easier than taking it out, frontwards. So, maybe you good folks can come up with a better idea. I thought about storing it in storage, but that's quite a walk to the nearest one! Any suggestions as to how I can get my scooter to work with me? What I can build? I am open to all ideas.

Thanks folks!

Lane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_223811.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	373833  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Lane! Add your location to your profile when you get a minute. That often helps us to help you.

What woodworking tools do you have, or have access to and can easily use? That might help with suggestions.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 75 Old 04-01-2019, 03:35 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Iím thinking along the lines of a small hydraulic jack on wheels. Perhaps a small floor jack or a stubby bottle jack buit into a cart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 04-01-2019, 06:44 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
how about a desk lifter/mover? if the center of gravity cooperates, it would go under the "floor pan" - lifts the whole thing onto a swivel dolly....

the handle is removable - but you would need side clearance to push the handle down and lift. could you use the open door way for that space?
also, how smooth are the surfaces? it has two inch wheels - which could be an issue on carpet and/or sills/bumps/etc.
from the pixs it looks like you could replace the casters with bigger wheels.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...campaignId=T9Z
post #5 of 75 Old 04-01-2019, 06:46 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If you would provide the dimensions of your entry/exit area and the dimensions of the scooter it would be a great help.

You used the word apartment so I assume you do not own.

You might try a teflon sheet and see if the tires will slide on that. I am not sure you can find one stiff enough. You may have to mount it to a thin piece pf plywood.

George
post #6 of 75 Old 04-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
How about a smaller scooter?
post #7 of 75 Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
What about either one of the shop tool wheels like this https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-1700...3&s=hi&sr=1-18which only engage when you push them down or maybe even a lever lift and wheel like is used on some tools. Like this https://www.rockler.com/lt14-lt16-30...w-mobility-kit
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #8 of 75 Old 04-02-2019, 11:37 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Konjur1, I have a simple solution that I think will work for you. I posted the idea on routerforums a while back. Here is the link. If you have any questions about it post them here and I will answer them.https://www.routerforums.com/tools-w...tor-dolly.html

Gary
post #9 of 75 Old 04-02-2019, 03:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You just need one more wheel ....

You need an additional wheel that will raise the scooter just enough to allow it to slide sideways more easily without tipping too far. A trailer jack would work with a crank handle which moves the caster wheel down.

https://www.trailer.parts/Boat-Trail...ed_p_5372.html

Another approach with no effort would be to use a 12 Volt jack like this on a small dolly:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-BU...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or one of these:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #10 of 75 Old 04-02-2019, 05:31 PM

View NVwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Or ---- A big sheet of slippery plastic:

https://www.amazon.com/Forearm-Forkl.../dp/B01GJPJR9O
post #11 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Some great ideas here!! I will work through them ALL one by one to see which one works out the best! Thanks guys!!!
post #12 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 AM

if you can post a pix of the back end of the trike that would be helpful.

seeing the frame construction and space available may generate a few more ideas.
post #13 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok, discovered new problem: should have added all this before. My apologies! Here are bunch of pics. Hope you can read what I typed into each pic. There is another problem tho with the back end of this scooter. The only place that any kind of a structure can be placed that can withstand lifted or force without harm is directly under that iron bar where I wrote the words "solid iron bar" in the pic. That iron bar is 18" up from the floor up to just underneath the bar. The bar itself is about 14 1/2" across at its straightest part before it starts to curve inwards at the sides. The circumference of the bar is 5" around and looks to be quite strong.
The scooter measures at its widest width from outer surface of "FENDER to FENDER" (as they jut out farther than the wheels) 28 and 1/2". I don't believe I can use any sort of a jack because I have to be able to turn the handle bar at the front end and need to be able to reach them. The jack would have a handle which would push me further back, I think. Right? Anyway...here are some pics, hope they are self explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test for 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	373907  

Name:	P 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	373921  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	373923  

Name:	number 4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	373925  

Name:	number 5.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	373927  

Name:	number 6.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	373929  

post #14 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

other picture for that iron bar

Meant to post this pic in with the others. Tried to swap it out but the edit feature wouldn't let me, so had to add it in here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	373933  

post #15 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 PM
where's my table saw?

I donno .....

I think that this from Harbor Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...lly-62234.html

would fit under here:

Using the two shock support bases, which are very sturdy OR using a wood block to span the distance if it's too much.

Go to a Harbor Freight in person , in your scooter and ask for the manager, who most often is a very helpful person. They will test out which if any of their many types of jacks will work for you.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-03-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #16 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 02:48 PM

the pc labeled "solid iron bar" is most likely steel tubing. it is part of the frame that holds the seat and obviously is "supended" on the structure that holds the motor, the springs and the anti-sway bar.
if you lift on the yellow bit, you have to move it upward so far that the suspension reaches the end of its travel before the wheels will come off the ground.
the theory behind using a dolly is it will be completely under the footprint of the tryke - basically the back end would "float" in any direction.

the tricky bit is how to get it on the dolly.
question: you mentioned backing in the door - would a dolly under the front wheel work? back in, put the front on a dolly, swing it to align straight thru the door . . .
question: if the back end is on a dolly, can you push the tryke in and out of your apartment or do you need to "drive" it in/out?

not clear from the pix - does an axle drive the wheels or are they friction drive? the axle is a 'natural' lifting point....
post #17 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

That's a good idea but I don't drive anymore and the nearest Harbor Freight to me is unreachable using my scooter. But thanx!! I don't know if I would be able to lift the back end of this scooter to get it on that thing which looks like a pretty interesting tool to have.
post #18 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 03:37 PM
where's my table saw?

The "dolly" is the jack ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
the pc labeled "solid iron bar" is most likely steel tubing. it is part of the frame that holds the seat and obviously is "supended" on the structure that holds the motor, the springs and the anti-sway bar.
if you lift on the yellow bit, you have to move it upward so far that the suspension reaches the end of its travel before the wheels will come off the ground.
the theory behind using a dolly is it will be completely under the footprint of the tryke - basically the back end would "float" in any direction.

the tricky bit is how to get it on the dolly.

question: you mentioned backing in the door - would a dolly under the front wheel work? back in, put the front on a dolly, swing it to align straight thru the door . . .
question: if the back end is on a dolly, can you push the tryke in and out of your apartment or do you need to "drive" it in/out?

not clear from the pix - does an axle drive the wheels or are they friction drive? the axle is a 'natural' lifting point....

Tom, the reason they did away with bumper jacks is as you describe... to much travel before the wheels come off the ground.

The reason I suggested the Harbor Freight wheel dolly is that it is also a jack. You slide it underneath and pump up the jack with the foot pedal ...unless I'm missing something here.

The wheels will "caster" to allow it to move sideways. This is also why I suggest to go in person and see what will work, no "guessing" involved over the web, regarding heights and widths.

post #19 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

You said it..."would be pretty tricky to get it on!!!" I can easily push this scooter; it has a "push" button which when you press it, makes it easier to push the thing frontwards or backwards. I prefer taking it out of my apartment with the backwheels facing the hallway. If I try to do it with the front wheels facing the hallway, I can't correct any movement that stubborn back end is doing because I can't get to it when it is inside my apartment. I would have to be able to climb over the scooter to reach it. I can just about reach the handlebars as it is by laying across the top of the yellow bucket when I am backing the scooter out, but I wouldn't be able to get to the back because I can't climb over the handlebar. There is just no room in the doorway for me AND the scooter!! And I would be giving up the only leverage I have.

Still, even so, the way I do it now (backing it out) the front wheel tends to have a mind of its own; I have to climb over the bucket to keep it from every which way. I'm all for hanging a hoist from the top of the doorway and hooking it up to that yellow heavy bar. LOL! Doubt if I'd get away with that.
Are the wheels friction driven or axle driven? I think they are axle driven.
post #20 of 75 Old 04-03-2019, 04:48 PM
where's my table saw?

You are going to respond to my posts?

This isn't exactly a woodworking question, more of a mechanical engineering or industrial design issue. If a woodworker here has a solution, great, but near as I can figure, it involves a moving/lofting heavy item like the scooter and designing a way to "steer" it sideways.

The wheel jack does both, so I'm giving offering any further suggestions. Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode