Need advice for mounting cabinet doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-12-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

View texastiger's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice for mounting cabinet doors

Hello everyone.......I making a cabinet for my wife's art supplies and need some help in attaching the doors to the carcass. I am trying to duplicate a design I saw on a showroom floor and have attached a picture so you can see what I'm trying to achieve. I also have attached a picture of the construction state of my carcass. I would like to have 2 side mounted doors opening from the middle out. I want to use hidden side mount hinges that will fit flush against the side panels of the cabinet. I don't have the side panel thickness to recess the hinges. I am going to use 3/4" pecan wood for the doors so they will be on the heavy side and the overall opening for the doors measure 43-1/2w x 35-3/8h. I have recessed the shelves back 1-1/4" all around to allow for the doors . How much space should I leave at the top and bottom of each door and what should the distance between the doors be? How many hinges on each door and what kind should I use? Any other guidance or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like these hinges are what you are looking for.
http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/20/40/

Scroll down the page and click on "more pictures". One of them shows a framless cabinet installation.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
texastiger (10-12-2015)
post #3 of 12 Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Your pecan doors are large and will be heavy. You could use a piano hinge.
I would leave only 1/8" at the top and bottom. I would not cut the doors final width down until you mount the hinges. Leave 1/8" between the doors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
texastiger (10-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 AM

View Big Mike 69's Photo Album My Photos
Hi everyone,
I agree that the European style hinges are the best answer. There are way to many varieties on the market. They can be very confusing for the first few times of using them. My best suggestion would be to take the pictures with you and visit a cabinet shop and ask someone there if they can help you. You said the walls are to thin so I have to ask how thick the wall is and also the if the face frame is flush with the inside or if it overlays into the opening. Piano hinges will not work for what you want to do. Three hinges per door will be fine. Also the adjustability of the hinges is the best feature of European hinges. I would ask if the cabinet shop would drill and mount the hinges to the door for you. I could give more instructions but confusion is what you do not need, hehe.
Good luck and pictures are great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Mike 69 For This Useful Post:
texastiger (10-23-2015)
post #5 of 12 Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Toolman, 1/8 inch margin all the way around. Another hinge option is a no mortise hinge you can use, they can be used face mount or inset.

http://www.rockler.com/non-mortise-hinges-with-finial

I would use three at least per door. You will need to make a stop in the center for the doors and a catch will be necessary with this hinge.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by BigJim; 10-22-2015 at 09:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
texastiger (10-23-2015)
post #6 of 12 Old 10-23-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone.......I decided to use 3 Blum blumotion 110 soft close hinges on each door and I think they will handle the door weight just fine. I still have to make some hinge adjustments. I used a natural opening in wood doors as a place to open the doors......really like the way that looks and is quite functional. Also lined up the wood grain on the door fronts for continuity across the front. I used poplar on the carcass and pecan for the doors. I applied BLO on both carcass and doors. On the carcass, I used a white pickling stain over the BLO. After the BLO dries on the doors, I plan on using a satin waterborne finish.
The carcass already has the finish applied. I've had good success with waterborne over BLO on previous projects. I'll be putting metal wheels on....why? because my wife told me to....haha. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	191890  

Attached Images

post #7 of 12 Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
That does look good, nice job.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
texastiger (10-23-2015)
post #8 of 12 Old 10-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Fantastic job and congratulations to you.

For information:
The hinges are plenty strong enough for the doors. As a rule in our shop 2 hinges for up to 30 inch doors, 3 hinges up to 48 and 4 or more for full height doors. The numbers are not related to weight but the added hinges help prevent door and or cabinet warp.
texastiger (10-23-2015)
post #9 of 12 Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Just one more thing

What material would you guys recommend for a back panel? I was going to use 1/8 tempered hardboard but maybe there is something else I should consider. Thanks
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Since you are making it a roll around unit ( for the wife, hehe) I would go with at least 1/4 inch for stability. 1/8 inch has a tendency to warp even in a fairly small area and pretty easy to bump into something and poke a hole in. ( never know who will be moving it around).

With such a nice job do not forget to put your name or initials on it someplace. I always put my name and date on things I build so maybe someday some one will see it and know who I was.
texastiger (10-25-2015)
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Big Mike 69

Big Mike.....once positioned, the cabinet will be sitting on tile so I made my wife promise not to roll those metal wheels on the tile floor or else I could have a real problem with cracked tile. The cabinet has 2 each 3/4"shelves and a 3/4" vertical partition centered. Seems pretty stable, but I think I'll take your advice and go with 1/4" for the back to be on the safe side. Thanks for your response.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Big Mike 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike 69 View Post

With such a nice job do not forget to put your name or initials on it someplace. I always put my name and date on things I build so maybe someday some one will see it and know who I was.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on that. In fact, I ordered a branding iron just a few weeks for that very reason. Some of my projects will no doubt end up with my kids some day and I would like them to remember "pops".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode