3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

View LawrenceH's Photo Album My Photos
Question Most Simple Wooden Table?

Hey!

I went to school for carpentry a few years back, but it's been so long I could use some assistance.

First off, I am retired due to ill health, and thus poor, so I can't afford to buy a table, nor do I wish to buy metal parts for a table, except for the screws and whatnot that I'll of course need.

Since some of my income and a lot of my activities are centered around my computer, I need a desk for that. The thing is, I do not want to sit at my PC, I want to stand as I work. This means the table should be around 1000 mm (about 39") tall, with a tabletop of around 800x600mm(24"x31").

I am looking for the absolute cheapest and simplest way to make this table. I'd imagine it's possible to make one with nothing but the actual tabletop, and legs, plus some screws and those immovable hinge looking things (carpentry is the only thing I've actually studied in my native tongue, so this word escapes me, but I think you know what I mean. It's a supporting metal piece to connect the tabletop and legs). I'll also get some finish for the table to minimize how crooked it will get, but since I lack proper tools, I doubt I can make any extra support structures for the table, except I'll need something to just keep the legs from wobbling too much.

What would be the most minimalist way to approach this problem? How thick should the tabletop be? how thick should the legs be? It doesn't have to be a looker, it just needs to be functional, and support the weight of a 32" flat screen monitor, a keyboard, and my arms.

The cheapest lumber around here is spruce and pine.

Thanks for any insight. I have about 3 hours before I can head to the store so I'll try and plan something in the meanwhile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
The old stand by for my kids and several of their friends while going to university was a filing cabinet from an used office supply store or value village and a panel, plywood or pine for a top and another panel to support the opposite side to the filing cabinet. This gave them a surface to work on and lots of storage for reference material. You could add a riser on top of the filing cabinet to get it standing height and additional storage. A simple cross brace was enough to hold the vertical panel to prevent it from racking.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2019, 10:35 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Frank C's proposal is as minimalistic as it gets. I used the same idea except I used 2 used filing cabinets with a piece of plywood spanning across the 2 cabinets.

You can use 1x4's standing with the 4" side up to frame out the underside of the plywood to give it stiffness or glue a double layer of 3/4" plywood together. That too will be stiff enough the short span the 2 cabs with room got your legs underneath and no need for the underframe.

You wanted cheap and simple, well here it is.

Mention what you are intending to do to your friends and co-workers and sometimes free file cabinets just become available.
woodnthings likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 05-21-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 01:49 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
My desk is simply an old dressing table, Two chests of drawers (filled with rubbish!) and a piece of veneered chipboard on top.
Visit your town dump.
johnep
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 AM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
I built mine from 2x4s, 1x4s and a project panel plus some adjustable feet but as soon as I can I am gonna replace the pine project panel with some oak I reclaimed from a used dining room table. Now I guess a few didnt see the part about standing up to use but here are some pics. The 2x4s was about 2-3 dollars a piece for 2x4x6 and the same for the 1x4s. The legs I built was glued and screwed together for strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190522_005747782.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	375597  

Name:	IMG_20190522_005712971.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	375599  

Name:	IMG_20190522_010057406.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	375601  

Marlin
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 02:38 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Same as mine .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Frank C's proposal is as minimalistic as it gets. I used the same idea except I used 2 used filing cabinets with a piece of plywood spanning across the 2 cabinets.

You can use 1x4's standing with the 4" side up to frame out the underside of the plywood to give it stiffness or glue a double layer of 3/4" plywood together. That too will be stiff enough the short span the 2 cabs with room got your legs underneath and no need for the underframe.

You wanted cheap and simple, well here it is.

Mention what you are intending to do to your friends and co-workers and sometimes free file cabinets just become available.

I also use 2 file cabinets, either legal or letter size and a solid core slab door for the top. I have about 5 of these in my shop and one is 10 ft long by 30" wide with 3 cabinets underneath for my outfeed table. That table uses a torsion box top made from 1 X 3's and 3/4" particle board on the top and bottom. It's a heavy beast, but very flat and it doesn't get moved. It's so heavy, I don't even screw it down:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/t...sizing-104889/
Tony B likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not understand the use of filing cabinets to meet the posters desire to be standing.

The filing cabinets I am used to are either 2 drawer (desk top height) or 4 or 5 drawer (much too high to use).

George
woodnthings likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM
where's my table saw?

Yup .....^

I forgot about that requirement, but a "riser" on the floor or on top of the cabinet would solve that issue. A hollow open ended box would allow for additional storage and be easy to make. The panel on the other end would need to be secured with a brace of angle or wood block. Two cabinets set close together and a riser would work IF it were not used as a sitting desk, no room for a chair.

Lots of possibilities....... I remember college days with concrete blocks, plastic milk crates, cut down book cases etc. You could cut the front off a 30 gallon plastic or fibre drum leaving enough side support making a fat column or a pair of them. Sonotubes anyone?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-22-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 PM
where's my table saw?

The many ways you can make a table.......

Tables are typically a top supported with a frame with legs.

Sometimes the legs will be integrated into the top for strength:

Table with attached legs:

Of the 3 types above, the integrated legs are the strongest and don't rely on mechanical fasteners for strength.
Here's a simple table build with integrated legs:

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-22-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View LawrenceH's Photo Album My Photos
These are all great ideas!

I went to the local IKEA just to look around. The cheapest actual table, with a separate tabletop and 4 extendable legs for standing purposes, would've cost me $150. I was looking around for some cabinets etc that I could pile up and peg together for a standing table, but had no luck.

Eventually I walked by some shelves, and found the near perfect thing! The whole thing cost me about $60 (I got a couple of hooks to hang my headphones and whatnot on the side). It is a simple shelf. It is a little wobbly, but not too much, and it saved me the hassle of buying all the wood etc, since I would've had to work it without a workshop. I reinforced the shelf with rope, first crossing two threads in the back in an X shape, then crossing one under the legs, and then tightening them together with one more piece of rope. These ropes actually hold the entire "table" up, since I forgot to buy the metal rod to hold the shelf upright. I will get that today if possible, and it will likely cost me about $5, most likely less.

There were adjustable tables, which actually weren't THAT expensive ($230), that could go as high as 120cm, so if I ever get the money I will have to get one of those. They seemed relatively sturdy.

But this will do, since I'm not planning on piling weight on it too much, and it's the perfect height. Now I no longer have to feel guilty about hanging at the computer all day, since I am actually standing in attention the whole time I work!

Thanks for the good info, I will definitely be needing an improvement to this shelf at some point I recon, so I will keep this post handy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode