Mission style fireplace mantel shelf - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

View w1pers's Photo Album My Photos
Mission style fireplace mantel shelf

I would really love to get some good simple plans on how to build a fire place mantel shelf. Nothing fancy. I would like something in a mission style. I have been searching the internet for plans but can't really come up with anything. I am new to wood working and thought this would be a good starter project. Plus it would show my wife that buying all these new toys will be of some benefit.
I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Sawdust Wrangler

View mobilepaul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pers View Post
I would really love to get some good simple plans on how to build a fire place mantel shelf. Nothing fancy. I would like something in a mission style. I have been searching the internet for plans but can't really come up with anything. I am new to wood working and thought this would be a good starter project. Plus it would show my wife that buying all these new toys will be of some benefit.
I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks.
I know of a couple of resources for what you ask. You, possibly, could get them from the library, I did. This first book has an arts and crafts mantle in it...

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Fireplace-Mantels-Mario-Rodriguez/dp/1561583855 pages 64, 82, 116

http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Fireplace-Mantel-Step-Step/dp/0764324578/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Step-step-Classic-Fireplace-Mantel/dp/088740653X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

here's a free plan that you could modify to be more simple or more complex but it will show you some steps

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...replace-mantel

you can get some ideas from here

http://www.houzz.com/mission-style-fireplace

I hope this helps,

Paul

Last edited by mobilepaul; 11-27-2013 at 06:11 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen those books on Amazon but wasn't sure which to buy. I saw, somewhere on this forum, someone suggesting hanging out at B&N to look for woodworking mags that will fit my needs...maybe I will check out what books they have too. The number one issue I have is the general steps to putting it together. I have a concept of what I want it to look like. I just want to make sure it doesn't fall of the brick fireplace I am attaching it to. Not planning on a full mantel, just a mantel shelf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Sawdust Wrangler

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen those books on Amazon but wasn't sure which to buy. I saw, somewhere on this forum, someone suggesting hanging out at B&N to look for woodworking mags that will fit my needs...maybe I will check out what books they have too. The number one issue I have is the general steps to putting it together. I have a concept of what I want it to look like. I just want to make sure it doesn't fall of the brick fireplace I am attaching it to. Not planning on a full mantel, just a mantel shelf.
I was surprised that my local library had all these books. I checked them out and learned a great deal from them. They all take you through the build process. Step-by-step.

Check your library and see what is available, beats buying them. BUT, if I was going to buy one, it would be the one by Mario.

Paul
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

Perfect..thanks Paul.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 06:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
these are really beautiful

I love Arts and Crafts and Mission style and would do my whole house in that style. So far I just have the kitchen cabinets, and some dressers, headboard, and a quilt rack.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The number one issue I have is the general steps to putting it together. I have a concept of what I want it to look like. I just want to make sure it doesn't fall of the brick fireplace I am attaching it to. Not planning on a full mantel, just a mantel shelf.
If you post an online image of the ideas you have, and pictures of your fireplace, we might be able to make some suggestions.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

I appreciate that. Probably won't be able to post anything till next week. Holiday and work will keep me busy for the next several days. But if you guys are willing I am happy to get input.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Sawdust Wrangler

Quote:
Perfect..thanks Paul.
you're welcome. Happy Thanksgiving!
post #10 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Sawdust Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

I love Arts and Crafts and Mission style and would do my whole house in that style. So far I just have the kitchen cabinets, and some dressers, headboard, and a quilt rack.
I had already sent him that link, wood.

I love those styles the most... Greene & Green, Frank Lloyd Wright, Charles McIntosh, Gustav Stickley, Charles Limbert, William Morris, the Roycrofters, etc.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

As requested, a few weeks ago, here are some photos of
the fireplace and an armoire that I would like to get a similar effect, for the style on the fireplace. I know the 'in thing' is to frame in and box over the brick but I have no desire to do that. I will at some point remove and replace the ugly tile that was installed on the hearth. My biggest issue is the main steps to creating a solid, sturdy shelf. I plan on checking out the library for the books mentioned earlier in this thread but to date have not found much out there that gives just a basic step-by-step. How is the box created? What is the proper way to hang the box on the brick...etc. Once the mantel shelf is up I will probably make some similar matching shelves to go on the walls on both sides.
Appreciate all helpful suggestions given.
Sorry photos are posted vertical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131210_103510.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	84560  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131210_103757.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	84561  

Rob
post #12 of 15 Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
All I did was french cleat a 4 inch thick by 9 inch deep mantel to sit on top of the brick of my fireplace. It's just a slab of wood, squared on the sides. I drilled into the brick and plugged the drill holes. Along the sides are some matching quarter rounds (or will be when I finish them) for verticals. Simple, clean lines, and super quick. I couldn't convince my wife to do a live-edge shelf until later when she saw a $2000 mantel she liked but at that point it was out of the budget and we already had the mantel in place. We don't have tiling on the bottom "step" just matching brick and our fireplace is open without doors, but other than that it's quite similar to what you've pictured. I used Paduak for the mantel in ours to match the rest of the floor/walls.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

How about some photos?

Rob
post #14 of 15 Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
When I can get some pics next week, I'll try to remember and get them posted for you. If you PM me next week, I'll definitely remember.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
The Old Fisherman

Its been a few weeks since I posted on this thread because I was trying to get a few books together to help me design and build a mantle shelf. Well the other day my wife was in a second hand store and found a fully built, solid oak, mantel shelf. Ready to be hung for $8.
Not sure if I should be embarrassed or impressed. But regardless I am going to try to use it. Problem is, is the wood has been stained a darker color than what I need to match my floor and the armoire.
Both have a red oak tone to them and the mantel is a brown. I need suggestions on stripping down the old shelf for re-staining. Can I just sand it down? There is some kind of finish on it as well and of course lots of little creases and such. Suggestions?
Sorry... just found methods for stripping finish and stain from the wood, online. Pretty straight forward. Unless anyone has secret or short cut that is different from normal process I am going to follow the processes I have found. Thanks

Rob

Last edited by w1pers; 01-29-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Found method online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode