Lid Hinge location - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

View Dagnis's Photo Album My Photos
Lid Hinge location

Hey! it's another beginner question, only this is tricky. I'm building a coffee table and half of the top is going to open with hinges on the narrow end. However, I'm having trouble figuring out where to place the hinges for the Lid.

This is the lid hinge I think I'm going to use: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

I'll probably place 2 on each side of the narrow end. However, the problem is that on the diagram here: http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?P...9&LARGEVIEW=ON

says I should have it 1' 3/8 away from the location of the hinge pin. I also looked at the back of the Lowe's mentioned item (I went to the store and looked at it) and it says it should be 3/4 of an inch away from the henge pin.

I need to know how far (linear distance) from the henge pin I need to drill in the hinge (into the lid) if I place the base of the hinge 4.75 inches away instead. Also if I place the bottom only 1/4 of an inch below the hinge pin. Ideally getting a 65 degree or greater opening.

Does anyone have a site that can explain the math to figuring it all out or is it best to simply experiment? (I'm afraid experimenting may cause me to drill lots of holes and not allow the hinge to work correctly)

ps, sorry for the long post, I hope I made sense.

Last edited by Dagnis; 02-25-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

post #3 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Well first of all what is in the picture isn't the hinge. It's the lid support which stops the top from going all the way back and breaking off. Right above where the 1 1/4" is illustrated is shown a common butt hinge which is the hinge. That would work fine and you could place butt hinges anywhere close to the ends. If you wish to have a hinge that works like what you are thinking then use a cedar chest hinge. It is hinge and lid support all in one piece of hardware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode