Large Computer Screen in Workshop? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

View CjParker's Photo Album My Photos
Large Computer Screen in Workshop?

Hi all,

I’m needing some advice on upgrading my current computer display in my shop.

I’ve got a computer monitor mounted to the brick wall that’s connected to my laptop. It’s only a small screen and hard for me to see, so I have continued using my phone. However, it’s a bit of a pain having to stop & look down at my phone for info on whatever I’m doing, then start again.

So wanting to make the screen bigger. I was thinking of either a large tv to mount or would a projector be an option?

Thanks in advance

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Why do you want a TV/screen/monitor in the shop? Especially a large one? Do you watch TV while working or what?

george
Catpower likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2020, 11:35 PM

View marly's Photo Album My Photos
When getting a bigger screen, make sure you check the resolution. I assume you want the bigger screen so that the text is bigger. If that is the case, a TV screen might work for you. Make sure that you get a TV that does 1080p, that way it will keep the resolution and make the text look "bigger". Watch out and make sure you do NOT get a 4k, because a 4k at the correct resolution will make the text smaller and harder to reader. If your goal is reading text further away, I recommend sticking with 1080p on a TV.

You can get a projector, but I think a projector lens might get dusty and need to be cleaned.

Make sure you check the connectors that your computer outputs, typically your computer will have an output for, VGA, DVI, or DisplayPort. Sometimes HDMI, so will want to check that first. DisplayPort and HDMI connectors look almost exactly the same.

Long story short, a 55" TV or so might work for you if you're just wanting to display websites and drawings and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 12:12 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
whatever else, you need to run a virus checker on your computer. I dont like the look of all those random symbols in your typing.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #5 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 12:17 AM

View marly's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
whatever else, you need to run a virus checker on your computer. I dont like the look of all those random symbols in your typing.
He probably wrote the message in a different program, like Microsoft Word or some other program. Then copied/pasted it in. If you do that, you should paste it into something like notepad, then copy/paste it back into the text box on the message board.

The characters are where " and ' is supposed to be.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 02:09 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
I cant make "and" fit into those spaces, but if thats all it is, no problems to me.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 05:50 AM

View HoytC's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you're in the habit of working in the dark I think you might have difficulty getting enough contrast in a projected image. My shop lighting, about 1200 lux, would completely wash out the picture from anything affordable.

-----Dave
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 06:42 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I would never consider a TV or PC in my shop, they would die in a matter of a month. My dust collection system is so/so, it is mostly where it settles.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 09:39 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
I doubt that a virus or other malware is causing the issue.

What you see are apostrophe characters, replaced with non-standard versions. Usually the cause is when the originator uses a word processor or other program to write their post offline. The word processor automatically replaces apostrophes and quotes with the fancy "curly" versions that you see in printed books. When the originator copies and pastes the text from the word processor into a reply here, the special characters are included, instead of the basic straight versions. The special characters are not interpreted and displayed correctly in your browser.

When I write a post offline, I avoid the issue by typing and editing my post in a programmer's text editor, not a word processor.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 10:53 AM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Buy a monitor, not a TV

Cheap enough these days

You may also need a video adapter cable as the industry simply cannot stop changing plug standards

In Windows you can change default text size, and you can enlarge whats on the screen with control-scroll (I think). I use the latter, the former never helped.

IF you laptop uses a cooling fan I would be very concerned about using it in a dusty environment. My old ACER Aspire has no fan and it survived in the garage (my shop). My HP laptop has a fan and will not be used in the garage. The iPad has no fan.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 12:56 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
My 32" TV is wall mounted above the heater closet door in the garage - where it has lived for years - and is doing just fine (near the dust-making chop saw).

CJParker will need his screen close enough to read and not be in the way of things. They monitors are so cheap its not worth worrying about dust (which I do not thinks is a problem) for a monitor.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode