Well, plans changed.... I decided I would sand and prime first to see how much smoothing was needed as I need dry time for the mud. Good thing I started early! The cabinets are cheap, made out of particle board with laminate. The doors are real oak with 1/4" panels.
I always add color to my primer, this allows me to see imperfections in the wood a lot easier than standard white primer.
I was able to get the sanding and most the primer done on Monday. Today I put on the second coat, let it dry and then I started with the mud process to smooth out the cabinet imperfections. The mud process always looks bad the first go around, but it will be built upon. I usually do two to three coats of mud.
It's a work in progress, but it's coming along.
Still hoping to have the uppers done by this weekend.