5Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By Brian(J)
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

View thumbs's Photo Album My Photos
Kitchen Island with pop up appliances?

To add a little work space into small studio kitchen I need a kitchen Island. To keep clutter to a minimum I would like for it to have a flip up counter top, that when flipped up allows for various kitchen appliances to pop up when needed. For max user friendliness there should be a control panel that let me switch on whatever appliance I need to use. When counter top is flipped into down position a switch will kill all power to the control panel ensuring no appliances get left on by accident.

Something like this is what I am after, but for heavier kitchen appliances. I am thinking there should be room for a blender, a slow cooker, a sous vide cooker, toaster, small coffee machine and the traditional kitchen food processor. Maybe even a counter top indoor electrical grill and an extra 2 burner induction top. I would like them all to be plugged in to a control panel at all time, hence the safety switch.

I am not sure how I would go for making the pop up mechanism. Mechanical mechanism will do just fine, and I would have no problem with manually push a security latch of some sort to ensure the appliances are standing sturdy and without the pop up mechanism getting worked around as the various kitchen appliances are doing their work.

For all I know there is already various solutions for this out there, but I have little to no experiences with making something like this so I didn't even find the correct google search term to aid me. And as english is not my native languge it makes searching harder.

If people can point in the right direction for something like this that would be fantastic. Either by linking to a ready made solution or even by helping me with a better search term then kitchen island appliance pop up because that didn't yield good results. The only thing I could find was the outlet and various extractor fans that pop up.

Last edited by thumbs; 08-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I can certainly live with a solution that does not raise and lower the appliances as individual units, but as a whole if that makes it easier to find a working solution. If I need to find a way to hammer this into shape from the ground up I think I will stick to initial idea and have individual rise and lowering functionality for each appliance. Makes it less messy and keeps thing uncluttered.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 04:34 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Raising and lowering each unit would be the nicest solution, but going to make the construction more difficult. This is a woodworking forum. I am not sure that you will find anybody on here that has the knowledge of the electro-mechanical devices that you will need.

You first need to search the web to find the mechanical systems that can be used. After that people on here can help you integrate those into a kitchen island.

I assume that you would be willing to manual remove and install the tops that go over the holes above each appliance. That would help in simplifying the build. You just need to find some miniature automobile lifts or miniature lift type of elevators.

I assume that you have lots of $$$$ to put into this project.

George
thumbs likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
thumbs (08-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 06:19 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
I can certainly live with a solution that does not raise and lower the appliances as individual units, but as a whole if that makes it easier to find a working solution. If I need to find a way to hammer this into shape from the ground up I think I will stick to initial idea and have individual rise and lowering functionality for each appliance. Makes it less messy and keeps thing uncluttered.
I and my company do various types of design and industrial design and occasional gizmology, I personally do a good bit of the prototyping. I don't see a problem at all, I would start with the Wood Technology guys- they build a number of quite robust TV lifts with Bosch motors, Swiss design made in China. I have one and have modified it a bit, and they were helpful. BTW the 'whisper' is a motor whine that I would not describe as a whisper but is acceptable to me, and I don't like noise.

https://www.woodtechnology.com/tv-li...0-tv-lift.html

I suspect you will end up with no more than 3 lifts with your appliances distributed across the three, and that you'll find the actual lifting of appliances easy and the safety (no pinching etc.) aspects and the other 'unk-unks' (unknown unknowns) to be the challenge.

If you want to build this yourself from scratch best of luck and may I suggest linear actuators as a possibility.
thumbs likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 06:23 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Also for some options similar to that pop-up power center you posts an image of check out:

https://www.mockett.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian(J) For This Useful Post:
thumbs (08-14-2017)
post #6 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

No to the big dollar. Hence the plan to look for a mechanical solution and not an electrical lift system. For the rest of the island I will just draw up some plans and find the right wood, or even maybe modding an existing piece like maybe an Ikea island. Whatever saves me money. Starting things over again when you passed 40 somehow is hard, you got used to a certain way of life, and suddenly need to lower your standards, live in smaller place, and make everything as cheap as possible. However when finished it will be a cheap way of living letting me focus more on what makes life great then worry about bills and what not. So this project too will be on a shoe string budget, but I can clearly see in my head what I want to achieve.

The counter top I imagine will flip up 90 degrees and then slide down the back wall of the island to be out of the way. I might let the counter top act a back wall/slide stop for the lift cradle, just to easy the wood working.

I know it is wood forum, but even working with woods you can't really escape today's gadgetry, electronics and what not. And it would be cool if someone else can get inspired reading about my project when it is completed.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 07:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Thwere are 2 and 3 faced rotational tables

Some woodworkers have come up with a 3 sided tool table that has a different machine on each face. You just spin it around to get to the tool you want to use. The third side could be plain for a counter surface.

Lioke this:

Toolman50 and thumbs like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

OK so a reality check regarding import taxes, VAT, handling fees etc and it turns out this project will be to expensive for the moment. I still need more counter top space and a place to store appliances and various bits and pieces.

So my re calculated idea is to use a HD steel shelf. The shelf got 5 floors in MDF. 90 cm wide. And total height of 183 cm. Depth is 46 cm. Each of the 4 legs are made from steel and each of the 5 shelves just clamps onto the legs, one on top of the other.

Here is the budget solution I will use as a starting point, I will need to modify at least one shelf so I can pull out the self to double the depth.

A microwave oven can be stored as is on a shelf. But other appliances might need to be pulled out to be able to use, like a food processor. I've been looking for some special henges that could work for me with no luck.

The idea was that a least one of the shelves should be able to pull out so I can get full access to ie foodprcessor. But for the needed strength and stable foundation I think the new layer of shelf I put onto an execisting one should pull out and drop down the same amount as the thickness of the shelf below so that I get a new work top with a depth of 2 x 46 cm, and the new workspace is just one solid, flat workspace. Then I can access the foodprocessor fully, and still have enough width to cut dough or make rolls or whatever on that very same workspace.

I will use some of the nifty wire management solutions linked here in the thread to organize and tidy up cables so things looks neat.

Any idea how to go about creating a new layer of pull out shelf on top of another shelf so that the surface area are 100% flush and even when pulled out?

My first idea was to use the mechanism/hardware from kitchen cabinets pull out drawers, but the more thinking I did the more it seems clear those will not be able to take the abuse from working foodprocessor.

Something like this;

Maybe some know what rating those sliding tracks have?

Last edited by thumbs; 09-13-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The rating on the drawer slides varies. Some are light duty and I have seen ones rated up to 200 pounds. I would not be surprised if there are ones rated even higher than that.

I have used slides rated for file drawers up to 100 pounds. I can assure you that those are very solid even at the full extension of 24". I would have no hesitation to use then for a food processor unless someone was also going to sit on the unit while it was extended.

George
thumbs likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your insight George. You just saved me a lot of headache and I will just find HD versions locally.
For added counter top space I am going to use good old piano henges so 1 shelf just folds in when not in use as countertop. That folding shelf will be at the same level as other counter tops, 90 cm above floor. So I guess I put the slide out shelf above the folding out shelf maybe at 120 cm off the floor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode