7Likes
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By AmishElectricCo
  • 2 Post By JohnTC
  • 2 Post By hawkeye10

post #1 of 8 Old 08-26-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
Kirby accessory cart?

We recently bought a Kirby vacuum cleaner. It comes with a bunch of accessories that stow away in a canvas bag.

In case you don't know anything about the Kirby, you have to switch out the sweeper head to attach the hose to use with most of the accessories. It also has a 2nd head that is used for shampooing. Long story short...you use several of the attachments during the course of normal cleaning, but it's extremely inconvenient to have to shuffle through this bag to get to them. You basically just have to dump out the bag every time you clean.

I'd like to make a little cart that can roll around with all the attachments handy. Just brainstorming at this point, but I was wondering if anyone has made a project like this before, or how you would tackle this?

⚡ Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishElectricCo View Post
We recently bought a Kirby vacuum cleaner. It comes with a bunch of accessories that stow away in a canvas bag.

In case you don't know anything about the Kirby, you have to switch out the sweeper head to attach the hose to use with most of the accessories. It also has a 2nd head that is used for shampooing. Long story short...you use several of the attachments during the course of normal cleaning, but it's extremely inconvenient to have to shuffle through this bag to get to them. You basically just have to dump out the bag every time you clean.

I'd like to make a little cart that can roll around with all the attachments handy. Just brainstorming at this point, but I was wondering if anyone has made a project like this before, or how you would tackle this?
Haven't done a project like this, but have a Kirby vacuum. Ours has a plastic tote thing to hold the attachments. The shampoo attachments are separate, and we keep them in the box they came in. I'd lay all of the attachments out and arrange them on the floor in the orientation they would be when looking at the front of the cart to get a mental image of what it may look like and the dimensions. I'd just move things around thinking of what it would look like from the different sides until a final plan came to me. Would make a quick sketch and go from there.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-31-2018, 11:22 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
This post does not help very much, but perhaps it can stimulate design ideas. I made a cart for my shop vac, the cyclone, and the shop vac accessories. This link tells the story:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/w...2/#post1886385

Photo:

AmishElectricCo and JohnTC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-01-2018, 08:37 AM

View Buckmark13's Photo Album My Photos
I'm just thinking out loud here, but the last thing I'd want is to pull a cart around the house to vacuum, especially if there were any stairs. I'd imagine that's why Kirby uses the bag?

What I'd maybe look into would be a way to attach the 1-3 accessories that you use most often directly to the vacuum.

What about taking a clip or holder and using epoxy to attach it to the vacuum?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC View Post
Ours has a plastic tote thing to hold the attachments.
My mom's Kirby has the tote, and it was nice because at least some attachments had their own slots, and it could be mounted to the wall. With this latest model, they did away with the plastic tote and went with a zippered vinyl bag - it's basically a lunchbox. People are selling the older plastic totes on eBay for cheap (around $20) - and I may end up going that route.

The salesman said they all flipped out when they replaced the tote. They're not a fan of the bag, either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	365614  

Attached Images

JohnTC likes this.

⚡ Anthony
post #6 of 8 Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishElectricCo View Post
My mom's Kirby has the tote, and it was nice because at least some attachments had their own slots, and it could be mounted to the wall. With this latest model, they did away with the plastic tote and went with a zippered vinyl bag - it's basically a lunchbox. People are selling the older plastic totes on eBay for cheap (around $20) - and I may end up going that route.

The salesman said they all flipped out when they replaced the tote. They're not a fan of the bag, either.
For as much as they cost, they aught to come with a maid.
hawkeye10 and AmishElectricCo like this.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #7 of 8 Old 09-02-2018, 08:15 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC View Post
For as much as they cost, they aught to come with a maid.
John, she should be pretty also.
AmishElectricCo and JohnTC like this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-02-2018, 09:42 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Make one with dimensions to suit:
https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-Woode...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode