irregular cove on table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

View peridigm's Photo Album My Photos
irregular cove on table saw

I'm trying to figure out how to cut this cove on a table saw. I can cut symmetrical coves but this one eases in and out from end to end. It's from an episode of Tommy Mac but they didn't go into detail on this one. Anyone have a tip they can share?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I was able to find the episode for this online. He did use a fence that had a curve to match the cove. A scrap piece is attached to the work piece that has a matching curve on the table saw fence. The curves mate to make a safe cut.

Here is the episode of anyone wants to see the process. New to me but I dig the edge it creates.
http://tommymac.us/2015/08/episode-0...-steven-brown/
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Great video

I watched it all through, but they kinda glossed over the tapering cove cut portion... used an "L" fence and a curved fence somehow. I will have to go back and watch it again. It starts on that cut around 20:00 minutes in.

That Tommy mac has some nice tools! He talks like a California surfer guy, probably because he is?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-20-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

The first time I watched it I missed the curved fence they made. The L-fence is used to guide the piece so you can cut a half cove on the edge of the work piece instead of a full cove like on a molding.
He's a Bostonian but he does have a bit of a "dude" vibe. All those TV guys have nice tools. My wife hates it when I watch those shows. Lol.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
TommyMac is from Boston, if I remember correctly. I really like watching his show.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode