iPad 3's Retina Display for Woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

View woodgeekess's Photo Album My Photos
iPad 3's Retina Display for Woodworking

--it's groundbreaking!

I can now CLEARY read a PDF on the iPad.. even reads easier on the iPad than my computer monitor.

I have several woodworking articles and books in pdf format and now I can read them in bed or take the iPad to the workbench and read the plan from there.

No other device has this kind of resolution (4 times the resolution of any competing tablet). This is amazing.

It's like reading from a real book, so clear.

I see so many uses for the iPad now in woodworking, automotive repair, doctor's--well anything where one needs to clearly read fine print in pdf's etc..

I was holding off on the Ipad until it had the retina display (because I knew about this display since I got an iPhone 4 on day one around two years ago--iphone 4 has retina). I told myself I'd get an iPad once it had a retina screen, and I did the other day :)

Last edited by woodgeekess; 03-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM

View Woody1987's Photo Album My Photos
yeah man, it really makes you wonder if pretty soon they're just going to get rid of paper all together! Those iPads are pretty incredible
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 AM

View Msupote's Photo Album My Photos
@woodgeekess:

I completely share the same feeling. I also had an iPhone 4 when it first came out. Love the retinal display. Have been using it more than anything else. The only draw back for an iPhone is the size if the screen. When iPad 2 came out it was disappointed that it didn't come out with retinal display. So, I decided to wait. Then came Kindle fire. I got it the first day that it was launched, but returned it within a couple hours because of the display as well as user interface.

I got my new iPad ordered right after it became available. Very satisfied with the quality of the retinal display. I use my new iPod primarily for web browsing and reading books. As I am very new at woodworking, new iPad made my research on woodworking very enjoyable. Some of the woodworking books that I purchased for Amazon Kindle, e.g. Hand plane book by Garrett Hack, Router book by Pat Warner, can be read very clearly on new iPad. Pictures are very clear, just like reading a real printed copy. Apple user interfaces, especially pinching, swiping, etc. make reading very enjoyable.

I am looking forward to seeing more e-books on woodworking in the very near future. Hopefully, the price of each book will be coming down and make it more affordable to more people (similar to music purchase on iTunes), so more people can enjoy reading.

Supote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

View woodgeekess's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msupote View Post
@woodgeekess:

I completely share the same feeling. I also had an iPhone 4 when it first came out. Love the retinal display. Have been using it more than anything else. The only draw back for an iPhone is the size if the screen. When iPad 2 came out it was disappointed that it didn't come out with retinal display. So, I decided to wait. Then came Kindle fire. I got it the first day that it was launched, but returned it within a couple hours because of the display as well as user interface.

I got my new iPad ordered right after it became available. Very satisfied with the quality of the retinal display. I use my new iPod primarily for web browsing and reading books. As I am very new at woodworking, new iPad made my research on woodworking very enjoyable. Some of the woodworking books that I purchased for Amazon Kindle, e.g. Hand plane book by Garrett Hack, Router book by Pat Warner, can be read very clearly on new iPad. Pictures are very clear, just like reading a real printed copy. Apple user interfaces, especially pinching, swiping, etc. make reading very enjoyable.

I am looking forward to seeing more e-books on woodworking in the very near future. Hopefully, the price of each book will be coming down and make it more affordable to more people (similar to music purchase on iTunes), so more people can enjoy reading.

Supote
I too was expecting retina on ipad 2 and was disappointed that it didn't have it and decided to hold out.

Yeah I got a case for this ipad today, black leather--makes it feel like a book. Anyways between that case and the retina display, today I actually tried to physically turn the "page" with my thumb/fingers as I would a paper book, LOL!

A lot of book publishers have held off on the electronic formats because there was no viable display--that is up until now. The retina display can handle any book. I foresee an exodus to digital format now in that there is an appropriate display for it. Amazon better either get busy and make a retina display for their next kindle or just focus on making the best kindle client they can for the ipad 3. They should encourage the publishers to go electronic format because of the new ipad but I am sure they won't mention that fact--that Apple has the display they need but they themselves don't. Maybe the iBooks store will finally take off and make Apple filthy rich like the iTunes store did. If the economy remains stable I see Apple stock continuing to rise (I am too affraid to invest just like I was 3 years ago though cause of the unstable economy... which could crash the entire market).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode