Ideas for newel post without a lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

View Upstate's Photo Album My Photos
Question Ideas for newel post without a lathe

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get an idea for some decorative posts for a cradle I'm building, without the help of a lathe . Primarily, it needs to be made out of white oak, but I wouldn't mind using accents of other species.

I was thinking of banding the four edges in walnut, chamfering the top at a 45, adding two decorative grooves horizontally near the top, and maybe adding a few walnut rectangular inserts. It seems kind of boring to me though. Any of you have any ideas that do not involve a lathe? Google images didn't give me a whole lot of ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by Upstate; 12-12-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added picture idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
that looks contemporary

But just because you don't have a lathe that doesn't mean you can't use a turned newel that you purchase if it fits your design. Here's some samples:
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...hp?p_ref=23293

http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/hemlock-newels-2.html

If you want to stay with the contemporary look then your idea of laminating different contrasting woods is good. A brass insert or silver may work also. Stones and resins come in many colors and add a nice detail. A routed inlay on the length of then post is another thought. Too many possiblities with out a specific design theme.... watcha thinkin' bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-12-2011 at 08:36 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Here's another similar idea. I do have access to a lathe, but I'm trying to save a little bit of time, and turning oak can be a real dog.

Regarding the attached picture, in my mind, the left and right would be recessed 1/4" in on all four sides (the cross-hatched area). I can't think of a way to do this safely or accurately. A router might be able to take off the material, but that seems a bit like a long shot without having horrible results.

I might try to find some pearlescent diamond inlays instead of using walnut. I'll come up with something and post the results.

P.S., thats for the links, I wish I had those before I resawed a 16/4 8' oak beam! It would have saved me much of a headache.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cradle-newel-2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	33325  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to reply to myself, but would using a dado stack be a "proper" way to cut that recess around the post (the cross hatched region) for ~20". That would crate a fair amount of cleanup with a chisel or belt sander, but I don't think I see an easier way to do it...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
possibly a little too aggressive

You can make a stop for your miter gauge or bandsaw with a fine tooth blade and then chisel out the waste in between or make multiple kerfs. Practice first to see what works best on some similar wood scraps. bill
It doesn't need to be very deep...1/16" or so, deeper and you will have end grain showing on the corners.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go on a scrap. Then I'll probably got get a 4x4 from HD and cut the whole profile. I have a feeling my idea might be uglier than sin. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode