Ideas for cedar strip baby crib - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

View Craigo298er's Photo Album My Photos
Question Ideas for cedar strip baby crib

So I have these 1/4" cedar strips that I was going to use for a paddleboard for a girlfriend at the time. She ended up cheating on me & I've had this wood for a few years because I just haven't found something I want to use it for; my good friend owns a kayak/SUP guide service, so I just use her stuff for free. Well, now that I'm married (to a different & better lady), and since we are trying to get pregnant, I thought it would be cool to build a crib out of the strips. IIRC, I have 70% red, 30% white, some strips up to 17' long with the tongue & groove already cut. I have the glass & epoxy too...
I am thinking I could get some cedar board for a solid frame, to be safe, and build the bottom, head-board & foot-board solid out of the strips, and then make the bars out of the strips too. Maybe put 2 of the strips together, then a gap & repeat. To help add rigidity to them, cut a groove in the upper and lower frames and slide the bars into those. Glass everything over and I think it would look really beautiful.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Any recommendations? Think my wife would even let me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 02:27 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
cedar is not a good choice for baby furniture - it's soft and it splinters easily. we had an antique crib - when the teeth starting coming in the kid just about chewed through the top rail before we realized what was going on - we had to put away the family crib and go with a modern style complete with thick plastic cap on the rail.....

not sure what you have in mind with: " Glass everything over and I think it would look really beautiful"
looks like a spellchecker in overerrordrive . . .

plus, cedar does not paint / finish well either - it has a lot of oils that make coatings flake off.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

View Craigo298er's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
not sure what you have in mind with: " Glass everything over and I think it would look really beautiful"
looks like a spellchecker in overerrordrive . . .

plus, cedar does not paint / finish well either - it has a lot of oils that make coatings flake off.
Glass=fiberglass. With epoxy, it finishes clear & brings out the beauty; just look at cedar strip kayaks. If a baby could chew through that, then baby teeth are stronger than sharp oyster shells! I wouldn't leave bare wood where a kid could chew, the dogs are rough enough on that! It would also stop splintering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
having done a minor amount of f/g layup - I would not tackle tons of slats/rails/grooves in a crib construction. but that's just me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode