How would you do this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Jeff G

View buktotruth's Photo Album My Photos
How would you do this?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of replicating this beautiful bench (http://reitmeyerdesign.com/?p=366) and have a question for you all.

In this photo (http://reitmeyerdesign.com/?attachment_id=349) you can see that the edges of the legs of the bench are beveled on both sides, but that the underside of the seat of the bench is not. Where the two come together there's an odd look. You get one board (the leg) that is beveled, but than one board (the seat) that is not. To be super clear, below is a photo with the area I'm talking.

My question is, if I wanted to bevel the part of the seat that comes into contact with the leg so that it starts beveled (by the joint) and then fades out to not being beveled, how would I do this? I'm trying to find a way to better express this, so in the 2nd photo you can see the red area. The more red, the more bevel I want. The less red, the less bevel...eventually fading to nothing.

I see a number of challenges including the fact that this is a curved surface and that I need a way to enter and exit the wood at exactly the same spot on each piece.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	41383  

-Jeff G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Jeff G

Oops...second photo here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	41387  

-Jeff G
post #3 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe

View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
I would cut a wedge to fit the arc with the thin end to the joint, tape or temp glue it in place and then you run the router up it, when you remove it , it will be tapered on the original.

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 AM

View kg7il's Photo Album My Photos
You may have enough pieces to warrant a pattern for the router table / shaper.

I would be tempted to use a pattern oversized at the taper-out portion.

Later, when the double chamfer / bevel is cut, reshape the square edge on the pattern that has the oversized portion removed.

If you already have the pieces cut, I like the wedge method lawrence mentioned. Blue Painters tape should be thin enough to hold it all.

Looks like a fun project.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 AM

View sawdust55109's Photo Album My Photos
How about beveling after the glue-up is done with a router. When you come to the joint you can tape or glue an angled board to the top so that when your router passes over it, it will reduce the chamfer as it passes over the board.
I'm thinking about an angled board that is wedge shaped.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Sharp chisel... should take you all the way.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
The Following User Says Thank You to mdntrdr For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (04-01-2012)
post #7 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Before or after assembly?BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Jeff G

BWSmith: I'd prefer to do this before assembly, but open to suggestions.

mdntrdr: I thought about this, and I may go this route, but I'm worried about blowing out chunks of wood when i exit with the chisel. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

sawdust55109: I think i understand what you're suggesting, but can you be more specific? I've never done anything like that, so any extra details would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff G
post #9 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by buktotruth View Post
mdntrdr: I thought about this, and I may go this route, but I'm worried about blowing out chunks of wood when i exit with the chisel. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

Use a backer board.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #10 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I'd use a sharp chisel, draw-knife, or spokeshave. Any one of them can do a bevel like that... just take thin slivers off with each pass!
post #11 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM

View TylerJones's Photo Album My Photos
I would drawknife it.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would use the router bit you used for the chamfer right at the joint and then taper the cut out with a sharp chisel. Had you added this detail before it was assembled you could have rigged a spindle sander on a drill press with the table on a angle to make this transition. If you are making a large number of them you could make template to ease the router into the cut.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 03-22-2012 at 08:44 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Jeff G

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Especially thanks to Steve Neul (below):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I would use the router bit you used for the chamfer right at the joint and then taper the cut out with a sharp chisel. Had you added this detail before it was assembled you could have rigged a spindle sander on a drill press with the table on a angle to make this transition. If you are making a large number of them you could make template to ease the router into the cut.
I haven't actually built this...just setting up and making templates now. So I love the sander suggestion. I actually have a spindle sander that has a base that can be set at any angle. I'm going to test this out with some scrap and see how it comes out. In theory, this seems like the way to go. Ideally, I suppose, I was hoping for some sort of jig that would make the cut perfectly repeatable, but I'll settle for marking out my cuts carefully and sanding to the line.

I'm avoiding chisels for now b/c, honestly, I'm not very good with them (yet).

Again, thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post photos as the project progresses.

-Jeff G
post #14 of 16 Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Stationary sander....we call'm belt grinders.

We mess with enough broken furniture and am involved with the design of same to be conversant.Belt grinding was/is/and always will be part of the furniture biz.

Now thats out of the way,the fun part......not sayin this IS gonna happen.But it "may".Looks are deceiving.......what looks like a simple bevel'd radius may have some rather interesting consequences.IOWs,when you run your test monkey's,pay real close attention to where bevels meet up at their ends.This isn't a prblem and not trying to make it one.

What happens sometimes,and this is just part of the creation process......is because of some rather complicated trig,and how it "plays out" in certain designs....you get basically an anomaly.How well you disguise this.....not being a true,equal width/angle'd bevel is part of the design process.

In he biz,before a particular "design" gets the final OK.....you must make sure we can efficiently(read that as FAST)make visual and physical connections in joinery.

All above is just part of what we do....not trying to be a dick or bring down your project....I find it fascinating,good luck,BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM

View verdesardog's Photo Album My Photos
If making several of the same (even if not) I would make a template/jig to use with the same router bit as used on the legs....
post #16 of 16 Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That's what I would do since the parts are unassembled. It would be a lot more uniform to use a template to ease the router into it. The spindle sander would work however each part would end up a little different. You probably should leave the part a little long until the router work is done because it's liable to chip at the end of the rail. Then the chip part can be cut off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode