How Would You Build This??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
How Would You Build This???

Allrighty...

So I see the wife intently sketching something on her nifty little skecthpad.......I say, "whachya sketchin honey?"......she says, "oh just a little somethin.".....I say, "Can I see?"......she says, "Sure, make this for me"

hmmmmmmmmm.............I have no idea.......


So everyone, how would you begin to approach this? I am new to all of this. I've built a little table. I am thinkinin this will be a little harder.....

HELP!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	7481  

Tom5151 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
View beanie's Photo Album My Photos
I would do the cabinet by itself with no top.
The legs to the left would be as high at the cabinet tminus the thickness of the top.
Run a stringer connecting the legs on the left side then two stringers (fron and back) connecting the legs to the cabinet.
Knotch the legs before assembly to accept the shelves then screw the shelves from the inside of the cabinet.
Cover the entire thing with the finished top.

Atleast thats how I would do it LOL
beanie is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Tony B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dickinson, Tx. / Somerville, TX
Posts: 3,588
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty much

What Beanie is trying to tell you is that moving this style piece will be a very delicate operation. While you are building this piece and finishing it, it will have to be lifted and rolled over several times. To make life easier, his suggestion is to build it in sections and assemble in place. I agree.

Tony B



Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Tony B is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,957
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am curious about the height dimensions. It is lower than a standard desk top yet taller than a coffee table or side table.

You are showing a max of 50" long. Personally I do not think that is sufficiently large to be worried about handling.

G
GeorgeC is online now  
post #5 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I am curious about the height dimensions. It is lower than a standard desk top yet taller than a coffee table or side table.

You are showing a max of 50" long. Personally I do not think that is sufficiently large to be worried about handling.

G
Her idea was to be able to use this as a table/cabinet under the wall mounted tv. The height dimension is based off of a little sofa type table we have there right now. She likes the height of that.
Tom5151 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Tony B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dickinson, Tx. / Somerville, TX
Posts: 3,588
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

You are showing a max of 50" long. Personally I do not think that is sufficiently large to be worried about handling.

G
The handling problem would not be a problem based on length but rather based on design. You have a very strong carcase on one end and a more delicate design on the other end. This is all connnected by an apron and a top. Most of the weight is on end. This is awkward at best for one person to handle by himself without causing dents.

Tony B



Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Tony B is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The handling problem would not be a problem based on length but rather based on design. You have a very strong carcase on one end and a more delicate design on the other end. This is all connnected by an apron and a top. Most of the weight is on end. This is awkward at best for one person to handle by himself without causing dents.

well let me ask you all this........neither my wife or I are designers by a long shot.......how would you tweak or change this design to improve it, keeping in mind it's intended use?
Tom5151 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would change the design slightly. To me it appears out of scale. The right side looks too heavy and the left side looks too flimsy. The thin shelves just being attached to the legs and cabinet side appears to me to be a second thought.

In holding to that basic design, I would make cross rails and leg stretchers to be like a frame for each shelf. They can be M&T'd to the leg. If a front to rear rail is chosen along the cabinet side, it can be fastened from inside the cabinet. If no rail is desired there the ends can be attached via a stub tenon into the side of the cabinet. The top inside edge can be rabbeted to drop in the shelves. It would add quite a bit of stability to the whole structure, and balance it out visually, and give some aesthetic appeal to the shelves by trimming the edges.

I would make it in one piece, as it wouldn't be that heavy. Or, make the whole table like a one piece credenza, with full outside sides, and a full back.





cabinetman is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,215
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Talking TOM, as an old student of the Arts...

"I would change the design slightly. To me it appears out of scale. The right side looks too heavy and the left side looks too flimsy. The thin shelves just being attached to the legs and cabinet side appears to me to be a second thought." Posted by Cabinetman.
I agree, You could mock it up with pieces or strips of cardboard, taped to the wall where it will go or a sheet of 1/4 ply just to get a sense of the design and the proportions. The width of the legs seem too great as like they are part of a deck or something very heavy. I know it's just from a sketch, but as an Art student, I know the sketch is just to generate the initial idea/concept. In Design it's all about proportion, and I wouldn't want you to go to all the trouble to make it, for your honey and not have it look in proportion = great! I would also make it in 2 section for reasons of ease of handling and finishing. It would make both of these much easier. The idea is to make the 2 pieces look "integrated" into one. Just a thought here is that the panel on the left side of the cabinet should be wider to appear more like the right side leg of the shelf unit. A rail across the top under the table surface will tie the 2 units together visually. Another thought, would be to close in the left end to make it look more like the other side, a cabinet with shelves, rather than a cabinet with a shelf unit attached. This would not show in just the front view mock up however. I'd go for the cardboard mockup to check these concepts out.
It's easy to cut different widths of cardboard and arrange them. You might consider 1 sheet of Luan 1/4" ply and rip that into strips for rails, legs, doors etc. for about $15 at HD. Better to "muck up your mockup" than make mistakes real life. JMHO.bill

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-27-2009 at 11:47 AM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #10 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you VERY much guys.....

I have so much to learn. I think what's intimidating me a bit here is that while I have built a couple of tables, I have never built a cabinet of any kind and am not really sure where to start. I think i can learn it but right now it's ALL new. I ordered a couple of the books that were recommended in a very recent thread about suggest woodworking books so i am hoping that will serve to give me a little more of a clue.

Now that a couple of you have expressed your suggestions about the design, I can totally seer what you are saying. Something about it didn't quite sit right with me either. It seemed far to heavy on one side and way too flimsy on the other.

I will defintely use stretchers and aprons to tie the two sides together. not exactly sure how to do that joinery but I think i can figure it out. It's building the cabinet part correctly that stumps me a bit. I am sure i could make something that resembles a cabinet but to do it properly is where my learning curve will be....I'll need the experience because one of the next projects is going to be kitchen cabinets at our cabin in the northwoods of Wisconsin....YIKES......
Tom5151 is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 4,993
View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Tom,
go to one of the big box stores and look at their cabinets up close. You'll see how they are made. No sense reinventing the wheel. Camera phone could come in handy (wink,wink).
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,215
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Integration without busing!

After re-reading my post, I agree with myself even more! It shouldn't look like a table and a cabinet that got "hitched", but rather a cabinet with exposed shelves. It should have an Integrated look. My opinion. By enclosing the left end and "eliminating" the leg look you can achieve this. A slightly narrower leg with a bottom rail and top rail will help. This is why I suggest the mockup.
TRY STUFF, stand back and here's an old designers trick squint your eyes down so you just see the big masses and that's the essence of the design. I used this for years designing cars at GM. Good suggestions from others are to look at other cabinets, fine furniture, and try and determine why you like one more than the other. Casework or cabinetry is quite different from furniture in that joints are for the most part rabbets or dados, not motise and tenon, since most of the "joinery" doesn't show in cabinetry. There are variations in between that combine the two. It all depends on what You want and how you want it to look. My advice to you, Bill

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #13 of 25 Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
thank you all for the time you have taken to give feedback and advice......i think the finshed product will look very different than the skecth based upon the great input i have recieved....

I think I'll try the mock up approach and see how it looks first
Tom5151 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,215
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Tom I just Discovered SketchUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
thank you all for the time you have taken to give feedback and advice......i think the finshed product will look very different than the skecth based upon the great input i have recieved....

I think I'll try the mock up approach and see how it looks first
After hearing/seeing SketchUp mentioned here I thought I try it out. WoW. For an "old Guy" learning new tricks can be challenging, but I think this would be a great tool to design in, ask questions, post drawings, etc. I'm just a newbie at it, like 20 mins. total time, but here's what I came up with sort of thinking about your project. Just a Thought, you might like to try it...shhhh it's free. Google: Download SketchUp 7 free version. I tried to upload the picture I made but it's an *skb ?? file this forum doesn't like those?? I printed it so I can scan it in. Doin' this as I type... WoW! That worked! It has to be a jpeg. Here we go now...
I know there is lot's wrong with it but Iwill learn.....maybe.
Does anyone out there know how to attach a file from SketchUIp that this forum will accept without printing and rescaning it as I did. I need some help here, please. bill
Attached Images
 

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-01-2009 at 12:51 PM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #15 of 25 Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Chiefwoodworker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Worthington, MA
Posts: 223
View Chiefwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
You didn't need to go through all that work. You can export from SketchUp directly to a png, bmp or jpeg file. See below.

By the way, I have a number of SketchUp tutorials, also free, at http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm .


Joe.....
Website: http://www.srww.com
Blog: http://www.srww.com/blog
Chiefwoodworker is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Expert Advice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
View the miz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
Allrighty...

So I see the wife intently sketching something on her nifty little skecthpad.......I say, "whachya sketchin honey?"......she says, "oh just a little somethin.".....I say, "Can I see?"......she says, "Sure, make this for me"

hmmmmmmmmm.............I have no idea.......


So everyone, how would you begin to approach this? I am new to all of this. I've built a little table. I am thinkinin this will be a little harder.....

HELP!!
Funny you asked that here. You will probably get a multitude of answers as cabinetmakers all have different way of attacking things. If you like I can do a measured drawing (I'm a cad guru) of the way I would do it. But, like I said there are several ways to do this and it all depends on the material you are using, the finish you desire, the size, and the function of the piece. Is it a TV stand, a coffee table, etc.?
the miz is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 03-02-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
After hearing/seeing SketchUp mentioned here I thought I try it out. WoW. For an "old Guy" learning new tricks can be challenging, but I think this would be a great tool to design in, ask questions, post drawings, etc. I'm just a newbie at it, like 20 mins. total time, but here's what I came up with sort of thinking about your project. Just a Thought, you might like to try it...shhhh it's free. Google: Download SketchUp 7 free version. I tried to upload the picture I made but it's an *skb ?? file this forum doesn't like those?? I printed it so I can scan it in. Doin' this as I type... WoW! That worked! It has to be a jpeg. Here we go now...
I know there is lot's wrong with it but Iwill learn.....maybe.
Does anyone out there know how to attach a file from SketchUIp that this forum will accept without printing and rescaning it as I did. I need some help here, please. bill
Wow....that's awesome....

Thank you so much for taking the time to skecth that up for us. That gets the creative juices flowing a little bit more for us and opens up some fresh ideas....Can't thank you enough for doing this....
Tom5151 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois (West Burbs of Chicago)
Posts: 1,312
View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by the miz View Post
Funny you asked that here. You will probably get a multitude of answers as cabinetmakers all have different way of attacking things. If you like I can do a measured drawing (I'm a cad guru) of the way I would do it. But, like I said there are several ways to do this and it all depends on the material you are using, the finish you desire, the size, and the function of the piece. Is it a TV stand, a coffee table, etc.?
Well thank you very much for your offer as well....

I will never turn down help. if you have the time to skecth something up that would be great. Woodnthings was gracious enough to do that and it really opened our eyes. Any additonal input would be most appreciated.

Essentially this is going to sit along the wall right under our wall mounted flat panel TV. So the idea with the shelves on the left side was to be able to put a DVD player, Cable Box, Receiver, etc. there. The drawers on the right side would be for storage for things like CDs, DVDs, manuals, etc. The top would basically function as a table top for pictures, flowers, etc.

The wife envisions the length at about 48 inches, the depth at about 14 inches and the height at about 28 inches or so.....
Tom5151 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Chief pencil holder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 280
View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
I think it needs to be a little deeper than 14" the drawers will not operate well that wide and shallow unless you build them perfect, but I really like the revised design. I was going to mention adding a bottom plate and feet at the 4 corners, but you already got that. What wood are you thinking? That can make a huge difference.

Last edited by scribbles; 03-03-2009 at 12:43 AM.
scribbles is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Expert Advice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
View the miz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
Well thank you very much for your offer as well....

I will never turn down help. if you have the time to skecth something up that would be great. Woodnthings was gracious enough to do that and it really opened our eyes. Any additonal input would be most appreciated.

Essentially this is going to sit along the wall right under our wall mounted flat panel TV. So the idea with the shelves on the left side was to be able to put a DVD player, Cable Box, Receiver, etc. there. The drawers on the right side would be for storage for things like CDs, DVDs, manuals, etc. The top would basically function as a table top for pictures, flowers, etc.

The wife envisions the length at about 48 inches, the depth at about 14 inches and the height at about 28 inches or so.....

What kind of materials? Is it painted or stained or clear wood?
the miz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What tools do I need to build..... flyboylr45 General Woodworking Discussion 19 02-06-2015 07:29 PM
Can I Build It? cabinetman Design & Plans 10 04-26-2012 10:18 PM
Kayak build Kudzupatch Project Showcase 20 02-10-2009 08:58 PM
Looking to build a new garage door RJAngel Design & Plans 2 03-31-2008 10:42 PM
So you want to build a cabinet pianoman General Woodworking Discussion 6 03-29-2008 12:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome