How to remove glued particulate board. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View Johanx3's Photo Album My Photos
How to remove glued particulate board.

Hi, I made a mistake with 2 MDF speaker boxes, I glued some particulate board pieces on the sides, and because I changed my mind in the final design, now don't want them there, need to remove these pieces apart.

I just finished removing the board by using the circular saw, with the same depth as the board I want to remove, and a chisel. It was very dirty process, and although I had the job successfully done, I want to see if there's better, faster, cleaner option for the second box.

This particulate boards where glued using water soluble glue, I was thinking in add some water to this boards (don't care of obvious damage to them), until the glue between MDF/PB gets the water, so probably I will be able to remove these problematic pieces in a clean process.

What do you think about this? I know MDF is very delicate to water, but I observed how it's ok if it gets just little water and immediately clean it.

In the picture below, the yellow part is the 3/4 particulate board I want to remove. This yellow board is about, 6x16".
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Wood glue is not soluble once it's dry. Mechanical removal (saw, router or chisel) is your only option.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 09:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
No, you don't want to get water anywhere near MDF. MDF is a sheet of paper which will ruin if gotten wet. Your best bet would be to build a router jig and machine most of the particle board off and then belt sand the rest off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Wood glue is not soluble once it's dry. Mechanical removal (saw, router or chisel) is your only option.
:smile3: I used titebond 1 or original, and I observed how it turns back to viscosity state once touched by water. Hard as rock when dried, but can turn back to liquid if water added, I did some science with it and observed it, it can give fabulous options just like this case that I need to undo something.

I don't know guys, I dont have a router tool, and for sure don;t want to use again my circular saw in that way, it;s a very messy job, and if I can avoid it by executing the idea of the water i mentioned before, that would be so nice, and I understood the risks as well, maybe worht it.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 PM

To tell you the truth with the equipment you have it might be easier to start over and rebuild the speaker boxes. Yes dried wood glue can be re-liquified but between two pieces of wood it would have to soak for so long the wood would be ruined before you got it loose. The MDF would literally be twice the thickness soaked for that long. Another option, Harbor Freight has angle grinders for less than 20 bucks. They sell a blade for it that looks like it was made from a chain saw blade. You could use that to grind the particle board off. It would be as messy as using the circular saw but not quite as dangerous. You would still need some means of sanding flat what is left though.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
I second starting over. Both MDF and particle board are part glue, and your glue is now part of both.

I have some pieces like that that I keep around the shop, so I can look at them any time I'm getting too big for my britches.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-14-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Incredible how you suggest rebuild my precious work... well I forgot to mention that it is a 2 Cubic foot enclosure, and considering I just fixed one with the method of the circular saw, will try to do the same to the other, although maybe later, maybe I will first get a router tool, I liked the idea of adding water, but don't need to hurry, and just for curiosity, will glue some scrap wood just to recreate a similar condition and see if the idea can be possible without damaging the objective. MDF is not like it will ruin at the very time that its in contact with water, and to not forget that glues are liquids, and they are no risk to MDF even using too much. Someday ago I dropped a water bottle and too much water ended on the surface of a MDF board, and to make it worst I did not realize until few minutes later! I was like what the hell! and immediately cleaned it, I was surprised how the board did not ruin, maybe because the quality of the board. Anyway will glue some scrap pieces and see if this is possible, I hope to post the results here. Will make a sandwich of half MDF half Particulate board, and try to separate them, sacrificing the particulate board. See you later.

Last edited by Johanx3; 05-14-2016 at 02:36 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-14-2016, 03:54 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanx3 View Post
Incredible how you suggest rebuild my precious work... well I forgot to mention that it is a 2 Cubic foot enclosure, and considering I just fixed one with the method of the circular saw, will try to do the same to the other, although maybe later, maybe I will first get a router tool, I liked the idea of adding water, but don't need to hurry, and just for curiosity, will glue some scrap wood just to recreate a similar condition and see if the idea can be possible without damaging the objective. MDF is not like it will ruin at the very time that its in contact with water, and to not forget that glues are liquids, and they are no risk to MDF even using too much. Someday ago I dropped a water bottle and too much water ended on the surface of a MDF board, and to make it worst I did not realize until few minutes later! I was like what the hell! and immediately cleaned it, I was surprised how the board did not ruin, maybe because the quality of the board. Anyway will glue some scrap pieces and see if this is possible, I hope to post the results here. Will make a sandwich of half MDF half Particulate board, and try to separate them, sacrificing the particulate board. See you later.
Youre confusing 'soluble' and 'softens'. Sure, some wood glues will soften when wet, but the glue doesnt dissolve back into the water and allow you to use it again, hence no solubility.

Mdf is also pretty much a sponge, being nothing more than compressed sawdust and a binder. Sure, a light splash isnt necessarily the end of that piece, but dousing an area in attempt to soften the glue would kill it fairly rapidly.

Ill admit to being curious as to why you bothered to ask a question when all you were going to do was tell everybody their response was wrong.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM

Try leaving a scrap piece of MDF outdoors in the weather through the next rainy weather.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2016, 09:01 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Heat can soften Titebond. Use an iron. It will take some time to heat through the particleboard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode