How to hang divider curtain - 22 feet? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

View bcurrey's Photo Album My Photos
How to hang divider curtain - 22 feet?

About to move into a new house. First thing I want to do is put up a curtain that blocks off my woodworking toys to help control some of the saw dust in addition to my dust collector. My garage is 22 feet deep. I'm looking at getting two pieces of vinyl tarp. Probably get a 12x14 and a 12x10 so that I can have a section to walk thru.

Any ideas on how to hang this? I found a metal curtain track system online for about $175 shipped. Tarps are probably going to run about $200 as well. I want to be able to pull the curtain back when not in use. Any suggestions on ways to hang this?

Thought about a wire going across the top, but wasn't sure if the distance was too far. Appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM
In The Basement

View aaronhl's Photo Album My Photos
Get a tarp that wood dust doesn't stick to. I use plastic shower curtains for part of my basement and all it does is collect dust with it's static electricity. Make sure you can extent is floor to ceiling because dust can fly
post #3 of 5 Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I use a wooden stick

A 1" X 2" rip in what ever length is screwed to the tarp through the existing grommet holes. I then screw that strip to the ceiling joists. If you want, use 2 strips, one screwed to the upper joists, and another at the bottom to help hold it's position. You can roll it up until it's the proper length.

Now way should those tarps cost $200.00. Harbor Freight has them in different grades, various sizes and different prices.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

View bcurrey's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, that's a great idea. How does it "roll" up? I understand the 1x2 across the top and screwed to ceiling and the strip across the bottom.

I assume there would be a pulley on the ceiling and a rope tied to the wood at the bottom. Thanks for the idea! Certainly want to look into it
post #5 of 5 Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What I've always done is make a wall with 3/4"x1" strips with clear polyethylene plastic sandwiched between to make a divider wall. It divides the space and allows light to pass through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode