How deep does a corner cabinet have to be to - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

View cart3333's Photo Album My Photos
How deep does a corner cabinet have to be to

It will be more like an armoire since I'm need to put a 40" flat screen in the upper section and a guitar amp stacked on a large speaker cab in the bottom section. I need the tv for my computer monitor and wife says I need to pick my guitar out here in the shop. Tv is 40" wide x 28" high and with stand 12" deep. 30 " wide x 40" high x 30 " deep amp is. I also need doors to keep the dust off them. It need to go in the corner so I was wondering how deep it would be from front edge to back corner of wall to make it work. I have 5 1/2' wall space on right of corner and 6' on left wall from corner. I need it in the corner so I can see the screen from all points in the shop as I will use it as a of monito.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	58451  

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
An amp wth a 30"x30" base will not fit in there, since it has to be at least 30" of triangle height.

For the amp to fit in square to the walls (45 deg from the cabinet face) it would need to be at least 42.43" (30*sqrt2) deep with 60" along each wall. For the amp to be parallel with the cabinet face, it would need to be at least 45" deep (30" of depth plus an additional 15" of void space, as per mdntrdr's geometry pic above) with 63.64" (90 / sqrt2) along each wall. Both of those numbers are for void space, so add for cabinet wall thickness.

Regards,
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Improv For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (01-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The easiest way to get fail safe dimensions would be to draw out a right triangle full size with indeterminate legs leading to the 90 degree angle.

Cut a stick the width of the TV, and paper rectangles (or squares) of any rectangle (or square) item to go into the area. Place them on the drawing for a fit. Figure out the thickness of all materials, face frame thickness and width, and joinery allowances.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I drew it out in deltacad and it shows it needs to be 45" deep by 90" wide overall. 63-5/8" along each wall. Amp is the driver on the size.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cart3333 View Post
It will be more like an armoire since I'm need to put a 40" flat screen in the upper section and a guitar amp stacked on a large speaker cab in the bottom section. I need the tv for my computer monitor and wife says I need to pick my guitar out here in the shop. Tv is 40" wide x 28" high and with stand 12" deep. 30 " wide x 40" high x 30 " deep amp is. I also need doors to keep the dust off them. It need to go in the corner so I was wondering how deep it would be from front edge to back corner of wall to make it work. I have 5 1/2' wall space on right of corner and 6' on left wall from corner. I need it in the corner so I can see the screen from all points in the shop as I will use it as a of monito.
That is one hell of a huge sized amplifier. Just what is it?

George
post #7 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Cart,
why don't you just take the amp and the tv one at a time and stick them in the corner. Mark on the floor where the front needs to be and go from there with figuring your dimensions.
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm sorry, but the amp needing to be 30" deep was a typo, it needs to be 20" deep. I'm clearing out the corner now and will place each one in a relative position. The width should not be a problem for the amp, the tv will govern the width, and the amp will govern the depth?!?? I think. I got to have 20" deep from front side before...wait, 20" deep from the front then add the rest??!! but it's got to be enough for the tv to be 40" wide. Lol I'm going to place them in a relative position and measure. I'm wondering if the doors being that wide, will they start to sag or pull away from the hinges? I'm making it out of 3/4" MDF.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
Amp is still the space driver. 30" deep, 60" across the face, and 42.5" along each wall.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I think I got it!! 48" down the wall on both sides from the back corner. It will give enough room for both pieces to go straight across front and also it would be the same width as two 24" cabinets side by side. Trying to keep it proportional with my other cabinets across the shop. The front will be 68" from side to side but will measure to be sure after sides are cut. 35 3/4" inches Deep from front to back counting the thickness of the doors. Overall 84" high counting bottom face side will be 4 3/4 from floor and allowing top thickness of 3/4". Same height as the 24" square pantry like cabinet across the shop with the the others. For my joint on the back, where the two side pieces will meet in the back corner, should I use a rabbet or a butt-joint? Which either way will make one side cut shorter than the other and does it matter which side the left or right is cut a little shorter?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode