HELP - leg size vs. top size - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

View 1Joe's Photo Album My Photos
Question HELP - leg size vs. top size

Ok, I know someone knows the answer to this and I would greatly appreciate it if they would share it with me. In real life I am making an occasional table with a five (5") inch thick top (had to have room for a three inch drawer). The dimensions are 5"thick by 26" W by 26" L. The top of the top is 30 inches from the floor. I had all the parts cut and dry fitted when "Quality Control" (aka - my wife) pointed out that the legs were too skinny for the top (legs were 1.5" square). I believe that she was correct. Which brings us to the question (finally!) - What is the formula for determining the circumference of the legs in relation to the thickness of the top?

Last edited by 1Joe; 10-20-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: cleaning up hard return
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
table legs are like women's legs....

Some are "fat" some are "skinny" it really has little to to with "what's on top" if you know what I mean.

My preference is not skinny, which will look fragile. Fat is better than skinny. Some of this decision depends on the anchoring hardware or joinery at the corners.

Fat legs:

medium legs:

about as skinny as I would go:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 12:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That is very unusual specifications. The size of the table would call for legs roughly 2"x2" however the 5" thick for the top would make it pretty top heavy so I would need probably use 3"x3" legs like a butcher block table.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I think the formula is "whatever the wife approves". Beyond that, i dont think theres any set formula. Personally, i think that its just a case by case basis, this table is this thick legs, but this one is this thick.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (10-21-2014)
post #5 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I think the formula is "whatever the wife approves". Beyond that, i dont think theres any set formula. Personally, i think that its just a case by case basis, this table is this thick legs, but this one is this thick.
You said it correctly.

George
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I would say there are two determining factors, what pleases "Quality Control" and what other pieces are in the room.
"Quality Control" here will mix and match as long as it falls under the guide lines of some Irish guy called Fen Sway.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 AM
CTW

View CTW's Photo Album My Photos
Try using the golden ratio. You will get many interesting responses by doing a Web search for using the golden ratio in furniture design.
The Following User Says Thank You to CTW For This Useful Post:
1Joe (10-23-2014)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

View 1Joe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
Try using the golden ratio. You will get many interesting responses by doing a Web search for using the golden ratio in furniture design.
Tried that, but 1.618 times 2inch sq legs equals 3.2 inches which is just a tiny bit bigger than the drawer. I cant resize the drawer so the top has to stay 5" thick.
However, in the end I did store away the 1.5" legs and put 2" legs on and it does look good this way... Balanced. "Much Better" according to Quality Control. As info, this is an Occasional Table used as a chess/card table.
Thanks to all for their help.

Tags
formula, leg size, rule of thumb, table size

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode