Help with drawer slides - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Help with drawer slides

Hi everyone,
I recently salvaged a sturdy 30" high "counter cabinet" used in a govt. office. !'m going to use it as a bench and drawered storage along one end of my shop.
It's 109" long and 24" deep. It was divided into 3 equal storage areas under the top. I have further divided it into 7 areas with 3 being approx. 11 1/4 wide and 4 at approx. 16 1/2 wide. All the dividing panels are 3/4 a/c ply, pocket screwed at the bottom and top of each panel.

I want to install 6 1/2 deep drawers across the 109" top and similar depths (what ever it works out to be) in all of the 11/14 wide openings.

In the wider openings, will go 10" deep drawers at the bottom of each remaining 4 openings with The balance of the drawers between the bottom and top at, again whatever it works out to be for depth.

Now, my question: Bearing in mind that these are shop drawers and will carry at most 50 lbs in the larger drawers, Would you use full extension metal side glides, "L" shaped slides and slick tape made from oak/maple or dove tail center glides?
If it makes any difference, the drawers will be dado jointed together and made of 1/2" BB with 1/4" hard board bottoms and 1/2" BB applied fronts.

Thanks you, I really appreciate your helpful suggestions.

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Since I have come to my senses I use nothing but full extension slides. You can get these rated for just about any weight that you care to use.

If you get anything other than full extension, in the years to come you will be sorry every time you open a drawer.

George
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
Easy slider

Being used to full extension slides now, I don't seem to tolerate 3/4 ext.slides anymore. Seems like epoxy glides that wrap under would work fine for just 50 lbs. For a little more $ you could use a side mount roller bearing glide if the dust is not too bad there, as to get into the bearings. If you want the best and $ isn't too big a concern, roller bearing undermount are just the best...Smooooth & self closing. A pleasure to use and to show your friends. A word of caution, if you use better glides than those in your kitchen cabinets, you will have to answer to the boss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Since I have come to my senses I use nothing but full extension slides. You can get these rated for just about any weight that you care to use.

If you get anything other than full extension, in the years to come you will be sorry every time you open a drawer.

George
Thanks George. I do believe that I'll use full extension glides, regardless of the type. I agree that the 3/4 slides are a royal PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tank View Post
Being used to full extension slides now, I don't seem to tolerate 3/4 ext.slides anymore. Seems like epoxy glides that wrap under would work fine for just 50 lbs. For a little more $ you could use a side mount roller bearing glide if the dust is not too bad there, as to get into the bearings. If you want the best and $ isn't too big a concern, roller bearing undermount are just the best...Smooooth & self closing. A pleasure to use and to show your friends. A word of caution, if you use better glides than those in your kitchen cabinets, you will have to answer to the boss!
Jim, I'm going to look for the epoxy glides you describe. The shop, though I use 2 DCs on different machines, still get's darned dusty. So, we'll not be using the soft close Blum undermounts I used for HER drawers. Besides, they are a little time consuming to install.

Gene
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 PM

View Jordy3738's Photo Album My Photos
Go full extension for sure they cost a little more but they're worth it on a small project.

If there were like thirty drawers I'd go cheaper unless a customer was willing to pay for the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode