Help again - another stumper - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-25-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

View 1Joe's Photo Album My Photos
Question Help again - another stumper

Gonna be building a dining table. Daughter wants it expandable (ie, at least one leaf). Wife thinks it would be neat if the top boards ran lengthways instead of across. She thinks it would be no more of a problem to cut the lengthways board and fit a lengthways leaf in than it is to do it with the standard crossways boards. Down deep I know this is just wrong, but I cant say why. Help! Has anyone out there tried this lengthways table top with a leaf? What would be the problem? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
here's the issue

You can make a plank board table with the boards running the length, saw out a section from the center and then wonder why the grain doesn't match any more. That will be the issue when the "leaf" is not in the table.... assuming sliding wood hardware to make up the difference in dimension.

Making a table with cross length boards will solve this problem, but it won't have that traditional farm table look. So, how do you solve the problem?
You could use very straight grained boards that won't show a large difference in grain pattern when the leaf is out.
You could make the "leaf" out of a different material like soap stone, marble, metal, floor tile etc on purpose so it won't appear as a mistake.
OR....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Besides the grain matching up, I wonder how straight a leaf made up with cross grain will remain over time. This time you may want to do a little convincing to "Quality Control".

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-25-2014, 11:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could glue up a section of wood the full length of the table and then cut it into sections with no problem. The reason tables have the grain running crosswise is to prevent warpage. A leaf 30" wide and 12" to 16" long would be difficult to keep from cup warping. You couldn't put any supporting wood under it because of the table extensions. Then the leaf being smaller would be more prone to shrinkage than the table and then the table pins wouldn't line up.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I read your idea and the ocd portion of my brain started having convulsions because either the grain won't match at all with the leaf or without it. Other than the glaring grain mismatch, I wouldn't imagine you'd have any issues. But dude, imagine how jarring itd be to look at the table and the grain just. Doesn't. Match.

Gahhhh! I'm going to go watch one of those videos where objects fit perfectly into random spots

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 6 Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 AM

View carny's Photo Album My Photos
can the top be painted?

Tags
table leafs, table top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode