Furniture design - division by 7ths to determine measurements - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By 35015
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 5 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By gj13us

post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Furniture design - division by 7ths to determine measurements

I was discussing this with a co-woodworker friend, and I thought the concept is neat. The idea is that people find division by 7ths to be aesthetically pleasing/harmonizing (like music scale).

Examples: You build a cabinet with hutch. The bottom cabinet would measure 3/7 of total height, and the hutch would measure the remaining 4/7 of height.
Or you are building a dresser, 4 drawers tall. The bottom 3 drawers (stacked) would be 2/7 total height each, and the top drawer would be 1/7 height. (or a 3/2/2 division).

I haven't found any information on the magic web, but I'd like to read on it.

Any books or articles that touch on this subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't heard of "sevenths" before, but the Golden Ratio is a common one (1.618, 3/5 and 5/8 are close to that). There is a good book that uses this quite a bit, "By Hand and Eye" and the book is in the proportions of the Golden Ratio :-)

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Delta DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra router table

Last edited by ChiknNutz; 08-16-2019 at 04:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiknNutz For This Useful Post:
AwesomeOpossum74 (08-16-2019)
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
I haven't heard of "sevenths" before, but the Golden Ratio is a common one (1.618, 3/5 and 5/8 are close to that). There is a good book that uses this quite a book, "By Hand and Eye" and the book is in the proportions of the Golden Ratio :-)
I've read about the Golden Ratio before. I don't think it's exactly what he's talking about, but maybe it is. I appreciate the book reference, and will look it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
I too can't say I ever recalling, being taught or seeing anything in old tome about "7ths" but there is a plethora of info on scaling to the golden section/ratio...and other old standards and "rules of thumb" modalities...Good Luck,

j
Kerrys likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 10:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum74 View Post
I was discussing this with a co-woodworker friend, and I thought the concept is neat. The idea is that people find division by 7ths to be aesthetically pleasing/harmonizing (like music scale).

Examples: You build a cabinet with hutch. The bottom cabinet would measure 3/7 of total height, and the hutch would measure the remaining 4/7 of height.
Or you are building a dresser, 4 drawers tall. The bottom 3 drawers (stacked) would be 2/7 total height each, and the top drawer would be 1/7 height. (or a 3/2/2 division).

If those ratios were of any standard then most furniture would be very close to those standards. From what I've seen furniture is every conceivable size you can think of. The only exception would be the height of a table or desk. These at one time were around 29" but like most things subject to change. People are taller today so the so-called standard height is subject to change. I'm starting to see tables and desks 32" tall now.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Fibonacci numbers...1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89...used by mathematicians, architects, musicians, artists, found all through the natural world and some claim are the building blocks of the universe.
35015 likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 10:12 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
Fibonacci numbers...1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89...used by mathematicians, architects, musicians, artists, found all through the natural world and some claim are the building blocks of the universe.
But what did the Universe use before Fibonacci invented his number scheme?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
He did not invent it, he discovered it.
FrankC, 35015, divingfe and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Quote:

He did not invent it, he discovered it.
What can I say to that? Asked and answered.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 11:38 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
With a trade as old as woodworking there are many that would benefit from learning the traditional tried and true methods rather than continually striving to reinvent the wheel.

I can imagine Fibronacci looking at an object and wondering, what is it that I like about that, rather than trying to figure out a way to improve it even more.
35015 likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #11 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 12:42 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I made a picture frame that used the Golden Ratio in a couple different ways. Unfortunately, by the time it was done the frame itself was simply wrong for the picture. In theory, it was a match made in heaven. In reality, they were not compatible. And so they both sit, alone and wanting.
Kerrys likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I was just coming here to comment that I found reference to it in relation to the Golden Ratio. So neat! As a kid I remember just crunching numbers like the Fibonacci sequence when I was bored (adding the previous numbers to create the next). Didn't realize there was actually significance!

I plan to incorporate Golden Ratio/Fibonacci into whatever my next woodworking project is, just to see how it pans out.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-20-2019, 02:10 PM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum74 View Post

Hmmm...interesting.

Mother is the necessity of most invention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode