Full size bed frame. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By KDC1956
  • 1 Post By mikechell
  • 2 Post By KDC1956

post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

View KDC1956's Photo Album My Photos
Full size bed frame.

I'm looking at maybe making a full size bed here.I have a water bed now but my water heater went out on it so I order a new one got all set back up.But I think I would be better off whit just a reg bed now.Going from a King size to a full size will be a lot different for sure.It's just me here now my wife went to heaven.So I trying my best to move on with my life but it's darn sure hard to do.I think I got it all in my head on what all I need to get to build my new bed.I like to use pine I know a lot here don't like to work with pine but I have always love it my self.If anyone here has pictures of there homemade bed I would love to see them.Thanks
baowd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
First and foremost ... my deepest sympathies on your loss. I don't know what I'd do if Wife was gone.

Second ... unless you're going to build drawers into the bed frame, I'd just go with the basic metal support on wheel. A regular bed frame puts the mattress and box springs at normal height, and bed covers etc. hang close to the floor most of the time anyway.
Building a good, solid bed frame is not going to save money, and it's usually more of a pain than it's really worth, in my experience.

There are MUCH better uses for wood than a bed frame.

If you ARE going to incorporate drawers in the frame, for storage, there are plenty of existing plans for that type of build.
baowd likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 07:52 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I can't fathom what you are going through. I've been married for 40 years and really don't think I could go on without her. I really feel for you.

You might use a google search to find a picture of a bed you would like to build. For a wood as soft as pine I would recommend hardware like this to mount the side rails.http://www.amazon.com/Woodtek-160553.../dp/B00887N8H4 I would also use screws longer than what any brand supplies. I would also use thicker wood for the side rails. Too thin and the side rails would sag or bend outward to where you would have to screw the slats to the sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I too am sorry for your loss. My father lost my mother a good while back and remarried, but the loss devistated him and still does to this day. There really is no replacing a wonderful 40 year marriage.
On to beds.. I just rebuilt our bed which is a hybrid of sorts. It's a trundle surround with 4 3x3 posts, but I did away with the metal trundle supports and replaced them with a regular footboard attached to two side rails of 2x4 lumber and screwed 2x2 cleats to the sides of those to support 2x2 slats and built a support for under the slats, but it's a king size bed so I doubt that you would need so much support under a full size mattress and we don't have a box spring under ours. The only attachment under the foot board are a couple of lag bolts attached similar to something like the picture.
I don't know if you can make out the leg posts, but they're just 2x4s. One ripped and glued leaving a 2x4 gap to support the rail and the lag bolt bolts in from the back side. The same thing could have worked for a head board, but we already had the trundle surround..I just bolted the rails to the inside of the trundle supports . All 2x4s..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM

Here's the trundle surround if this makes any sense.. It works although I'm not wild about the side parts. The Mrs likes it so I have to live with it.. You know how that works..
It's all painted a satin black.. Looks better than it sounds..
By the way, we just got it all put together last night and were pretty wiped out after going to Sumter yesterday and moving all the bed components around. King size mattresses are just not a hell of a lot of fun to have to wrestle around corners and so forth..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 05-25-2016 at 09:47 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.I'm not doing to save money at all.I built our water bed for my wife and my self it's made out of pine as well.The frame you can drive a Mack Truck on it and it's not going any where lol.I'm just keeping busy here I don't care about how much it will cost me at all.Building this bed frame just gives me something to do.
WesTex and sawdust703 like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I have use these before back in the 70s.And they are a pain in the butt to use or they was for me.lol I'm using 2x10 ans 2x4 and some 4x4 I have turn them to the shape I like on my wood lathe.I'm also thinking about adding a head board as well.I'll build it a lot like I did our water bed but with a few changes to it.The only thing that will cost a lot is the mattress all the rest is pretty cheap to get.I'm not sure what stain I'm going with yet either.A woman next door as me if I would build her a coffee table like the one I built for my self I told her nope I have learn from my pass I build then they never want to pay for it.I have also stop letting people use any of my tools as well last time I had to ask for it back and when I did it was broke he knew it was too but never said I will buy you another that was the last time I ever let me get there hands on any thing of mine.Even when I was building high end bicycles they wanted me to build them one but they never had the money some of my bicycle cost over 5000.00 to build and that's just the parts only.I can't work on much here today anyway it's storming here.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Think I have it all work out on how to build my new full size bed.I have watch a lot of videos on how to most of them are for the king size but I can make it to work with the full size as well.But It's been storming here so no work today. :-( I hope to start on this next after I finish my Kitchen Table with bench seats.I hope this is done by the end of June.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 AM

If you live near Columbia SC we have a bunch of almost new matresses and box springs.. We had hoped the kids would all come to visit, but they really don't so the upstairs here is like a miniature mattress warehouse. I'm fairly sure the Mrs would part with a few. If I'm correct there's a full, a queen and two twins plus a roll away cot. About half of my tribe came down last year, but as far as I know its about the only time they've ever been slept on and there's still my dad and his wife who are both in their late 80s so another bed soon to be vacant.. We should start renting out rooms again some day. It's a really big house right on the lake..
I got really lucky and meet a wonderful single woman with a huge house on a lake. Lucky me gets to do all of the yard work and house maintenance and paint windows! Yey me.. I think..lol

Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode