Foldable ironing bench - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

View KADAMBI's Photo Album My Photos
Foldable ironing bench

I have been planning to build a fold-able ironing bench for a while, Most of it i have seen on various youtube channels were mounted on the shorter side of bench, since the height at which it is mounted is around 30", all those short side mounted benches close upwards, displaying the 'ugly' backside.
I wanted to display the nice side of the Bench and decided that by mounting it on the longer side and using hardware to fold down, instead of fold up, i can achieve it.
Another design consideration was most of the ready made folding ironing tables are too narrow and are on tubular frame, which i did not like it, as it occupies floor space and too narrow to iron full length and breath of pants and shirts and other dresses.
So, i got a 220 lb capacity fold down wall bracket of heavy steel (one pair) and Moisture Resistance plywood of 3/4" thickness and a Felt backed ironing mat of 48"x 24" with a silicon pad for resting iron.
I cut the desired size plywood and sanded nicely and edges slightly rounded by sanding and mounting the mat with 23x13 staples using manual staple gun.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-03-2015, 09:06 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
A very unique design, and hopefully it will work for you. IMO, most wall mounted "boards" do have two long sides open for ironing those long items such as full skirts/dresses, large table clothes, etc., to prevent the wrinkling of the ironed material. Also, the shorter somewhat "pointed" end on traditional ironing boards is for ironing inside sleeves, pant legs, and to help rotate the material as you iron. Hope you have an electric out let near-by. Be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
KADAMBI (10-03-2015)
post #3 of 3 Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

View KADAMBI's Photo Album My Photos
@woodchux, Thanks for your feedback. I do have power OUTLET nearby. Unlike in USA where the electric outlets are closer to floor. In India, outlets and switches etc are provided at a height of around 5' from the ground, possibly because our supply voltage is 240V unlike 110v over in USA. I do agree, short side mounting has certain advantages, but I wanted a flip down bracket, which rules out short side mounting.
The Following User Says Thank You to KADAMBI For This Useful Post:
woodchux (10-04-2015)

Tags
fold-down, foldable, ironing-bench

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode