Floor rail system for Delta 18" planer and sound barrier - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

View bcgriggs's Photo Album My Photos
Floor rail system for Delta 18" planer and sound barrier

So, I'm getting a 18" Delta Rockwell Planer on February 18th. I have a 1100 sq ft workshop in my grandmother's basement. I'm concerned about the noise the planer will generate. The planer will be the first piece of equipment you see when opening the garage door, so I was thinking of making a floor rail system to slide planer outside when weather permits. Keep in mind the planer weighs +/- 1200 lbs. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say. (Maybe I am over thinking this and heavy duty castors would be sufficient enough. Rails would be easier in the long run, I believe.)

Also, the ceiling/1st level floor joists are insulated with R-19 and finished with sheet rock, but I'm still concerned about the noise. Any suggestions on a sound barrier I can install over the sheet rock on ceiling? Btw, she doesn't hear me when I run my chop saw and table saw, but I know the planer will generate more noise.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Heavy-duty casters would probably be your best bet, and easier too. Rails would be a pain in the neck, engineering the track, keeping everything level, fabricating a rail cart, keeping the rails clean, etc. Casters would just need a base and the casters themselves, easy enough to fabricate and more flexible in terms of movement.

As far as the noise goes, I can't imagine an induction motor run planer would out out more noise than a chooses. The universal motor in most planers is responsible for most of the noise, same with the chopsaw.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have some HD casters on a 12" Powermatic TS

Even with the best casters, 3" diameter it is difficult to move the 900 lb saw. They need to be larger diameter for ease of movement. They also get in opposing positions and you have to use some heavy hip action to get them all lined up. I like your rail idea, but I don't know about the solution without a sketch. If it's 4 wheels in a valley or like a portable bandsaw on angles it may work just fine. Whadda ya have in mind?

The post above talks about noise:
"As far as the noise goes, I can't imagine an induction motor run planer would out out more noise than a chooses. The universal motor in most planers is responsible for most of the noise, same with the chopsaw" ???

An 18" planer will certainly have an induction motor, but that is NOT the source of noise. The knives hitting the wood surface is the noise generator. I have 3 planers , a 12" bench top, a 13" - 3 HP and a 15" - 3 HP. The little one is the most noisy, but not by orders of magnitude.
They say that the spiral cutterheads reduce the noise factor, but I can't vouch for that since mine are all straight knives. Trying to reduce the noise by adding sound deadener may work to some extent, but it may prove costly for the amount of benefit ... I donno? Noise is transmitted by direct contact/vibration and through other mediums by acoustics.

My suggestion is to confine your planing operations to "off peak" times when it won't disturb the old folks. :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 04:59 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If there is R-19 insulation and sheetrock on the ceiling I think the sound coming through will be insignificant. If you are going to be planing thousands of board feet it might be something to worry about. I don't think for hobby use she would care.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The planner noise is going to be loud in the space above the workshop and probably most of the house. vibrations will transmit a long way. R-19 insulation does little for sound. Wood transmits sound very well. Induction motor or not a planner is loud.

No comment on rails or castors.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
bcgriggs (01-21-2017)
post #6 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If you feel 4 casters are inefficient, mount 6 or 8 casters. I personally would stay away from the rail because I wouldn't want a rail to trip over in the shop.
At 1200 lbs, you may need a block and tackle or at least a pulley system to move it back and forth.
It might be easier to put the planer in your shop where it can stay and move other lighter weight tools in and out.
The planer will be heard upstairs, but I think so will many of your other power tools.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
bcgriggs (01-21-2017)
post #7 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM
where's my table saw?

A heavy saw on casters

This saw probably weighs around 800 to 900 lbs:

I don't know how many casters are underneath, but it's obviously a rough surface to roll around on.

Here's a mobile base I welded up for a Craftsman table saw:

Here's a heavier version I made for my Powermatic 12" saw:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-21-2017 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
bcgriggs (01-21-2017), Toolman50 (01-22-2017)
post #8 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, guys. I thought about the trip hazard but could come up with a way to make it safe(for me at least). I believe I was overthinking it, but I am worried about the noise bothering people upstairs. Delivery date is February 18th, so I'll plug her in and see what I think about the noise level.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM
where's my table saw?

Basement?

How are going to get this beast down into a basement?

post #10 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

It has a 10' wide garage door. Here is a quick layout plan....
Attached Images

post #11 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm new to the forum. Here is a better photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 10.22.59 PM.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	273570  

post #12 of 16 Old 01-21-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Or...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 10.39.02 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	273578  

post #13 of 16 Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I would get a pallet jack and adapt the planer base to it, that way you have more flexibility with the placement of the machine. I wouldn't consider rails or track at all...
post #14 of 16 Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There are soundproofing materials available but they are expensive so I don't think it feasible to do the entire shop. If you could section off an area just for the planer you might be able to do that. If you are going to locate the planer near the door what shoot summ suggested with the pallet jack you could roll the planer outdoors to run it.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM
where's my table saw?

Darcy Warner's 24" planer ....

This planer make a whole lot of noise... and it's not even planing any wood....
https://youtu.be/2q6lYBH2L8o?t=134

Mathias Wandel's father 20" planer in operation:
https://youtu.be/7EDm66CQuHA?t=369

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-22-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
He should be wearing hearing protection and eye protection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode