Fire/heat resistant materials - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

View patnoren's Photo Album My Photos
Fire/heat resistant materials

I am building a studio for my kiln and bench torch for working with glass and making beads, etc. I want to put some fire resistant materials under my kiln (it has feet to raise it off the workbench surface) that reaches up to 2000 degrees F. I also have an open flame torch for working with the glass and would like to have something on the wall directly behind it that is fire resistant. I need some ideas that use easily obtained materials that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I have contacted the James Hardie people and they don't recommend their cement board for this application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Pat,
Maybe you could check with a local fireplace shop. I know they have pads to set woodstoves on and pieces to put on the wall so you can move the unit closer to the wall.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnoren View Post
I am building a studio for my kiln and bench torch for working with glass and making beads, etc. I want to put some fire resistant materials under my kiln (it has feet to raise it off the workbench surface) that reaches up to 2000 degrees F. I also have an open flame torch for working with the glass and would like to have something on the wall directly behind it that is fire resistant. I need some ideas that use easily obtained materials that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I have contacted the James Hardie people and they don't recommend their cement board for this application.
You can buy 5/8 sheet rock without the paper on it. It is fire proof. Good Luck. Handy

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 AM

View RHarkins's Photo Album My Photos
Fire proofing

For the wall -: I suggest using 5/8 fire guarde sheet rock then put a sheet of thin metal spaced out from the wall about an 1" or 2". The spacers could be ceramic knobs. This sheet should be open top, bottom, & both sides. As the sheet metal warms up, it creates a convection current up from the bottom which provides cooling to both the wall and the sheet metal. More heat creates more draft, faster cooling. I used to have a barrel design woodburner in a mobile home set up this way. The clearances were way too close per the specifications, but the wall stayed suprisingly cool.

For the kiln, I would get a fireplace mat, the kind made to set freestanding woodburners on. It would be too large, but you could cut it down & possibly double up to get two layers.

Let us know how you come out.
Ron

Last edited by RHarkins; 06-04-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM

View bgosh's Photo Album My Photos
What about some fire brick? The kind that they use to line boilers with.Am not sure where you can get these,but someone here would give you an idea where to get some.

Tags
2000 degrees f, fire resistant, lampworking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode