Dog memorial to hang - need ideas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By UnleveledDesigns
  • 1 Post By mike65cuda

post #1 of 8 Old 12-30-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

View UnleveledDesigns's Photo Album My Photos
Dog memorial to hang - need ideas

Today I had to make the incredibly hard decision to put my aging boxer to sleep.. I will be receiving a paw print from him and a small lock of hair as part of the cremation and was wondering if any of you had some plans or ideas for some sort of memorial I could build to hang on the wall.
Any ideas welcome especially if they have some free plans to go with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
new2woodwrk likes this.

Daniel L. - Katy TX -
www.unleveleddesigns.com :New blog so check back often
Measure twice cut once, then cut again because you still have not figured out how to cut on the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2017, 05:08 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear of your decision. I have done this and it's a hard one to make. I can't offer any plans but suggest that you hang it in a prominent place to honor your four-footed friend.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineknot_86 For This Useful Post:
UnleveledDesigns (12-30-2017)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2017, 08:03 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
So sorry for your loss - it is a deep pain we feel when we lose one of dearest friends...

I'm in the process of gathering my materials for a mutli-Urn box - we have the ashes of several of our friends who have passed and will be adding them to the urns along with their pictures displayed in a digital picture frame.

We don't have paw prints, so the pics will do nicely.

Best wishes
The Following User Says Thank You to new2woodwrk For This Useful Post:
UnleveledDesigns (12-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 07:43 AM

View mike65cuda's Photo Album My Photos
Urn

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
So sorry for your loss - it is a deep pain we feel when we lose one of dearest friends...

I'm in the process of gathering my materials for a mutli-Urn box - we have the ashes of several of our friends who have passed and will be adding them to the urns along with their pictures displayed in a digital picture frame.

We don't have paw prints, so the pics will do nicely.

Best wishes
Hello

I was wondering if you'd be willing to post pictures of your final outcome. You see, we've had to take our boy "Spots" on that long and final ride 3 weeks ago. We've received his urn and my wife has asked me to build a special box to hold the urn. Thus, I'm looking for ideas with respect to joinery, types of wood used, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Mike
new2woodwrk likes this.

Mike
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
The Router Forum which is owned by the same people that own this forum has a member that makes boxes of all kinds including urns for pets. His screen name is "The KY. Wood Chopper" and he is a MASTER box maker.

You also might try Etsy.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure of the size you are looking for but if you want something deep you could laminate several boards or plywood sheets together then cut the outside in a silhouette of his paw shape or his profile then route out the inside to store the memorabilia. If it only needs to be shallow to hold photos, dog tags... then you could cut the desired shape in a piece of wood then attach it to a backer board, then use a patterning router bit to trim it flush. Im thinking you can easily cut the profile with a coping saw, band saw, scroll saw...

Sorry for your loss but a great way to remember him.

Saw Dust Rules

In God we trust. All others bring data. - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Joel / Junior Member

View GreyhoundGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Daniel, I'm so sorry for your loss. We've had to make that decision too many times... it never gets easier.

We have a friend that makes beautiful pottery urns. We've put the ashes and mementos of those pets within those urns. I can see that you could do something similar with wood. Doing a quick search on BuildSomething led me to this... it could be modified to hinge, or leave it as is. (Obviously not as a wine holder, but you could scale as needed, but the style could be similar.)

And just because this feels appropriate: dog quote

-Joel

Save an Athlete! Adopt a Greyhound!!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
My preference would be a framed photograph with a brass plaque adhered with a date. Anything else seems too abstract to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode