Designing new entertainment center - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

View rajdawg's Photo Album My Photos
Designing new entertainment center

I have been wood working for about a year now and have really fell in love with it. I have always followed someone else's plans ,mainly those over at Ana-white . I want to take it to the next level by designing and building a new corner entertainment stand. I plan on incorporating a built in electric fireplace in order to help provide supplemental heat

We do plan on getting a new tv and wall mounting it but I can't help but look at the space and think of how awesome a full size built in would look. I would appreciate any insight that you can provide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2860999444.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	58063  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 AM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
What I normally do in this situation is look at a bunch of pictures then incorporate all the things I like in to my piece. I've always felt that once you understand joinery, you can make anything even your own designs. Good luck!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
I have built many entertainment centers, heat was always a factor.
I build "flues" into the back of them just to vent heat from electronics.
Placing a fireplace underneath electronics make take some thought on venting, perhaps even insulation.
The fireplace should come with specs for surrounding enclosure, start there with design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
I conquer with both previous comments. As for an electric heater I would suggest a convection heater. They don't get very hot and are economical to run. Fire hazard would be minimal with this kind of heater but it would pay to discuss final design with a heater. You could have a concealed heater behind your unit. Make your kicker into an inlet vent for cool air to draw to the rear and a 'flu' to allow the hot air out the top

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #5 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

IVe seen a lot of new electric fireplaces that require no venting. Just an enclosure built around them with a little room to breath. They vent on the front of them.

I will definently look around on the net for some ideas on plans. and I will even make a few sketches.

This is going to coincide with the purchase of my new Rigid 4512 from HD. Cant wait to replace the POS rockwell I have that I got for 89 dollars from menards
post #6 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM

View bgettel's Photo Album My Photos
I am certainly no expert, but can share a few things from my experiences. Sorry for the long read:
  • Visit sites like Outwater Plastics and other woodworking supply sources. It's amazing how you change your thinking when you learn about what cool products and gadgets can be incorporated into your project
  • Give a lot of consideration to the current and any future A/V equipment that the EC will house. No matter what you have, try and incorporate adjustable shelves if possible
  • Give a lot of consideration to power requirements for your electronics. Also consider if you'll need to power any other items like lamps or seasonal decorations, and make it easy to connect everything to power
  • Give careful thought to whether you want to paint or stain your project. If you stain, do some research on what woods take what stains best. If you paint, I highly recommend Duron Plasti-Kote paint (still available through Sherwin Williams)
  • Consider whether you want any ambiance lighting in your project. Easier to run and hide those wires during construction than after
  • Don't forget to think about including wired network connections for your TV, Pandora Box, or other Internet-connected devices and make sure you have all the necessary cables in the wall/in your project before you button everything up
  • Consider mounting your TV to a board that will swing out to allow access to the back of it without having to pull it out and sit it on the floor

In a short while I'll post some pix of my built-in entertainment center, created by my father-in-law and myself.

Hope this helps . . . . and again sorry for the long post.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 PM

A wide and a tight shot of my entertainment center.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4727.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	58139  

Name:	IMG_4728.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	58140  

post #8 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Storage for A/V on the left and kids' games/toys on the right. Drawer in the middle of the very bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4730.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	58141  

post #9 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM

The center panel below the TV lifts off. This is because I orignally had a rear projection TV that was 24" deep, and needed a way to pull it out and work on it. Doing so required a platform that was placed in front of the EC, onto which I'd roll the TV on to, giving me access to the rear.

Now I have a flat-panel TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4731.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	58142  

post #10 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgettel
The center panel below the TV lifts off. This is because I orignally had a rear projection TV that was 24" deep, and needed a way to pull it out and work on it. Doing so required a platform that was placed in front of the EC, onto which I'd roll the TV on to, giving me access to the rear.

Now I have a flat-panel TV.
That is really great. Thank you for sharing and for the advice
post #11 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM

These two show the flat panel as mounted on a wall-mount bracket, which is mounted on a wood panel that swings out thanks to some heavy-duty gate hinges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4732.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	58143  

Name:	IMG_4733.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	58144  

post #12 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM

The grayish circle in the center of the picture is an infra-red target. It receives IR signals and relays them to little IR emitters on each of my electronics shelves.

It lets me use remotes to control all electronics without having to keep the door open
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4734.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	58145  

post #13 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 PM

Each bay in the top shelf has a puck-style halogen light, which I mounted relatively flush with the surface of the wood to keep things a little more streamlined.

The last picture shows the warm glow of my ambiance/up-lighting, which is rope light that is behind the crown.

Both lights are controlled by in-line dimmer switches that are mounted in the A/V cabinet on the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4735.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	58147  

Name:	IMG_4736.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	58148  

post #14 of 14 Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM

View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
I have built a few entertainment centers lately out of some Honduras Mahogany I had left over from a door project. I have detailed pictures if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000967.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	58198  

Name:	Mahogany Entertainment cabinet.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	58199  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode