Deck restoration project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

View zillenhoj's Photo Album My Photos
Deck restoration project

Hi everyone!

I have an incoming project and would like to seek for your great advice as I watched and search bunch of projects online with different approaches regarding with deck restoration.

This will be my first major project and I will do it for my in-laws’ house. Their deck is already wore out as they didn’t have the chance to repaint or maintain it for how many years now. Just wondering where do I need to start and what tools and finish should I apply to make it beautiful again.

Thanks,
Zille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming you will be replacing the deck if the deck is applied with screws you would need a drill and an appropriate bit. Most decking screws use a torques bit. If done with nails you will probably need a sledge hammer, an eight pound sledge hammer, a wrecking crowbar and a flat bar. Some nails can be particularly stubborn. It would be helpful if you had a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Sometimes it's easier to cut the nails off rather than prying off. Harbor Freight sells a good one you could get for about 20 bucks with a coupon.

When installing the new wood you would need a hand held circular saw. I would put the new wood on with decking screws. You would need a drill and the appropriate bit. I would install the wood a little long on the end until you get all of the boards installed and then trim all of them at once. It makes a cleaner edge if cut that way instead of doing them individually. Even offset a sixteenth of an inch really shows up.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Assuming you will be replacing the deck if the deck is applied with screws you would need a drill and an appropriate bit. Most decking screws use a torques bit. If done with nails you will probably need a sledge hammer, an eight pound sledge hammer, a wrecking crowbar and a flat bar. Some nails can be particularly stubborn. It would be helpful if you had a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Sometimes it's easier to cut the nails off rather than prying off. Harbor Freight sells a good one you could get for about 20 bucks with a coupon.

When installing the new wood you would need a hand held circular saw. I would put the new wood on with decking screws. You would need a drill and the appropriate bit. I would install the wood a little long on the end until you get all of the boards installed and then trim all of them at once. It makes a cleaner edge if cut that way instead of doing them individually. Even offset a sixteenth of an inch really shows up.
Sorry for very late response... been a busy week last week for me. Anyways, we are not gonna replace the deck yet as I don't think we have enough time to do that this year. So we are just planning to restore it by cleaning it and applying stain on it to make it look better. I just need to know which process steps should we do and what materials should we buy. The desk looks so bad as I think it's been a while when they painted it.

Thanks,
zille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillenhoj View Post
Sorry for very late response... been a busy week last week for me. Anyways, we are not gonna replace the deck yet as I don't think we have enough time to do that this year. So we are just planning to restore it by cleaning it and applying stain on it to make it look better. I just need to know which process steps should we do and what materials should we buy. The desk looks so bad as I think it's been a while when they painted it.

Thanks,
zille
If there is no rotten spots the deck is probably salvageable. What you might do is power wash it and allow it to dry. Then in areas up against the house or something else sand it with an orbital sander until you get it cleaned up. Then rent a floor sander like you would use to refinish hardwood floors inside and sand the deck with 60 grit and then go over it again with 80.

Then it would be a matter of applying a deck finish. Since the wood is old and dry work in areas about 3' wide and keep applying the deck finish over and over until it seems like it won't accept anymore and then move on to another 3' and so on. Then before winter sets in give it another coat and from there anytime the deck starts looking dry apply another coat. With regular maintenance it would be a very long time before you had to refinish. It's just a lot easier to smear another coat on than do all the sanding and the wood would last longer.

For a finish I like Ready Seal. It's an oil that won't flake or peal it will just dry out.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If there is no rotten spots the deck is probably salvageable. What you might do is power wash it and allow it to dry. Then in areas up against the house or something else sand it with an orbital sander until you get it cleaned up. Then rent a floor sander like you would use to refinish hardwood floors inside and sand the deck with 60 grit and then go over it again with 80.

Then it would be a matter of applying a deck finish. Since the wood is old and dry work in areas about 3' wide and keep applying the deck finish over and over until it seems like it won't accept anymore and then move on to another 3' and so on. Then before winter sets in give it another coat and from there anytime the deck starts looking dry apply another coat. With regular maintenance it would be a very long time before you had to refinish. It's just a lot easier to smear another coat on than do all the sanding and the wood would last longer.

For a finish I like Ready Seal. It's an oil that won't flake or peal it will just dry out.

Sorry for another late response. been very busy recently. Anyways, I don't think it has rotten spots but I will double check. Do you want me take a picture of it and attach it here?

So for the finish, since it is an old wood, I can just apply solid color or semi transparent and you recommend Ready Seal which is oil-based right?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM

I don't know if pictures are needed. You are there and have determined the deck needs refinishing. If it is very bad you might rent a belt sander type floor sander to sand the deck with. It would work better to remove more of the surface wood and perhaps stains than one that vibrates.

I don't believe ready seal makes a solid or semi-transparent stain. Those are better used for fences. It would deposit a certain amount of finish on the surface of the wood and when walked on would wear a light streak across the deck. Then it would be difficult to touch up. The stuff is more like thinned down paint and any place you would overlap the finish would show. Ready seal is more like the Danish oil finish used for interior wood. It completely penetrates into the wood and if there is a wear spot is much easier to touch up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode