Dado blade throat plate? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
Dado blade throat plate?

I saw post that tell how to make a zero clearance throat plate for a single blade. But what do you do differant for a dado blade? Since it is a variable width blade, a zero clearance would require a few differant throat plates. And is a zero clearance required for a dado blade since you most likely will never be trimming off sliver thin slices that can fall into the throat plate? Do I want just one plate that has a wide slot to house the blade no matter how wide the blade is set up for?

You thoughts please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If you make several "blanks"

Then secure them in the throat plate with the lock down screw when you bolt up your various size dado widths. Mark each plate with the cutter dimensions after you power up and raise the cutter into the blank. It's not a bad idea to place a sacrificial piece that covers the throat plate and cutter which is clamped at the front and rear of the saw to prevent the throat plate from raising as you raise the dado head. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-26-2009 at 05:22 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM

View Burnt_Blade's Photo Album My Photos
Its easy enough to make inserts, that you could really just make one up for all the common dado widths that you use and mark the dimension on the insert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I've made them for my Unisaw from Baltic birch. I have, perhaps, a half dozen and all are marked for the nominal dado width.

You don't need one for "EVERY" width of the dado. e.g. A nominal 3/4" plywood is really 23/32". If you make a ZC insert and then cut a 3/4" hole for the dado, this one could also be used for a 23/32" dado cut.

When making your ZC inserts or throat plates, keep in mind their final use. You are not going to be cutting 2" deep dados. More than likely, the maximum depth of the dado is probably going to be less than 3/4". As you raise the dado blade through the ZC, be aware that you don't have to raise the blade much more than the 3/4".

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
I have three, 3/4+, 1/2 and 3/8. For an ooooold.
Craftsman 9" that I use for dado's only. 1/4"
Masonite is perfect and since I use a sled I don't
even fasten them down.

I just use the one that fits best.

Just a side note, the old saw is direct drive
and with an 8" dado set on it, it runs for
several minutes after the switch is shut off.
And it is dead silent.
I have learned to just wait it out and not leave
the saw until it has stopped. I get things ready
so I can do a lot of pieces at one time. But the
setup can take a bit more time than I like.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 AM

View Dusty82's Photo Album My Photos
Some great tips here - thanks! I have a small Makita bench top table saw that I bought from a friend that I want to dedicate as a dado saw, and this topic is just what I was looking for. Thanks again!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I have 1, it has a 13/16" opening. It is as big as the largest dado I have ever needed. I see no reason to have a zero tolerance plate for a dado. The exception being if you are running small parts that might fall it or get caught on it.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 9 Old 12-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Leo,
I have found that a dado insert close to the size of the cut tends to reduce chip out. But then 90% of my dados are in either Melamine or plywood.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I have very little chip out with my dado set. I don't find is necessary. The dado has a 5ļ negative hook so it cuts with a scraping action rather than an aggressive cutting action.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode