Crosscut Sled design - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodchux

post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
HSR

View Hugh Raymond's Photo Album My Photos
Crosscut Sled design

Good afternoon all,

I am setting up a new shop and one of the first jigs needed will be (of course) a crosscut sled. I have somewhat limited space and want to make a single sled w/ zero clearance inserts to handle differing blade/dado widths. I toyed with the idea to make a sled that would also handle blade tilt, but abandoned that requirement for now.

Attached is the design I have in mind and I would appreciate feedback w/ regard to both safety and practicality. My primary concern is whether the overhang of the right side bed ZCI (for narrow dado stacks or a blade) would cause it to deflect or buckle. Please advise. :smile3:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crosscut Sled II.pdf (178.8 KB, 420 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 05:58 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
First, Welcome here to this friendly WW forum. Your sled design IMO is well planned and would probably meet your "primary concerns of safety and practicality". There are some great sled designs on line and how to adjust the fence to get a near perfect zero cut. Consider also a zero clearance insert set for the angle you plan to use most. If you start with a strong thick base, it probably would NOT "deflect or buckle". Enjoy your stay, and post the progress of your sled and other projects. Be safe.
Trujeepr likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
Afternoon and welcome to the forum. You are right a crosscut sled can be very useful accessory to the table saw. I found the drawings very clear and professional. Did you draw these up? How are you planning to use the jig? It sounds from your post that you are not new to woodworking, like to explore ideas, read technical drawings, and perhaps have an interest in mechanical design and safety. Anything else we should know before commenting? I ask these questions because it will help me give you a better response.

In the meantime, a bump for you where others may share their experience, opinions, and otherwise contribute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
HSR

@woodchux,

I have looked on-line and this design was a composite of several ideas found there. William Ng's 5 cut method for truing sleds made the most sense to me.

The problem I had with the tilt requirement was that it seemed that the 1/4" hardboard ZCI on the left side of the 90 degree kerf line would have a great deal of unsupported overhang, but take a look at it again. The intended base material for the bed is 1/2" ply.

Last edited by Hugh Raymond; 02-24-2016 at 07:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hugh Raymond For This Useful Post:
woodchux (02-25-2016)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
HSR

@Old Skhool

Thanks. Yes, I drew this in Sketchup (like most of my designs) and exported as a .pdf.

I have a great deal of furniture to make for a new house, starting with a platform bed with linen storage below. This and other furniture will require that I make 3/4" ply cabinet carcasses which will need 18" - 24" long straight cuts and dados/rabbets, hence the sled, not something I'm willing to trust to a miter gauge.

I'm sort of new to woodworking (well, restarting after 30 years) am retired from an engineering career.

Last edited by Hugh Raymond; 02-24-2016 at 07:09 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
Your designs look very professional, but also probably a bit 'over-thought'. It's just a sled, it has to be fairly accurate, but you don't need a micrometer for woodworking. I would advise spending the time on the projects/finished goods and not the tools/jigs - they're just junk to get you where you want to go.

Also, you'll find there's no such thing as a 'do it all' sled. I have 2 or three sleds, and they're all set up mostly for cutting small stuff. I'd need another sled for cutting larger panels.

I always advise people to let the projects dictate the tools. Proceed with your project, and when you hit a snag where you can't make something, then figure out what you'll need to make the part.

The project will dictate the type of sled you'll need. Different projects need different sleds/jigs/setups.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-25-2016, 02:48 AM

View rinn69's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum ! I just finished my cross-cut sled and got it "square to the world"... .00125" :-)
I agree with the others as far as having more than 1 cross-cut sled / jig. I'll be making another one for frames (45 degree) and a box joint jig...maybe even get the 1/4" blade to make things even easier, but at $100, I'll wait until I need it.

Mike
MSgt, USAF, Ret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode