Crib conversion kit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Crib conversion kit

So just to idiot check myself:

We have this crib, and the conversion kits here and here are $350. I already have some of the same stain from when I made a bookcase and table to match the crib, so I don't see why I shouldn't just make the kits. I've got other things on my schedule competing for time, but this looks pretty straightforward.

I have all of the bolts, as they came with the crib, so I'll just need some threaded inserts judging from the assembly instructions.

How large do side rails usually need to be on a children's bed? If I make it like the same piece on the crib side it'd be 4/4 thick and 3 1/2 deep, but I'm thinking a real bed will want deeper rails. Perhaps I'll go measure the ones on my bed... Length for a double bed mattress is 75", do you make the rails exact or is there a fudge factor in making beds?

This looks like it'll be cake, but that also makes me feel like I'm overlooking something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm confused. Are you wanting to make the conversions for the crib or make a childs bed in a similar design?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I just want to make the conversion (rails/slats, toddler bet front rail). You're probably just confused because it seems stupid easy, and I'm mostly posting because I wanted another pair of eyes to make sure I'm not missing an obvious pitfall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm sorry, I was confused because I'm on dial up internet and the link didn't completely load. All I was getting this morning was the top picture and I couldn't figure out what the 75" mattress was about. The twin bed mattress is 39"x75". If the width would allow I would make the space between the side rails 40" and the length between the head and footboard 76" allowing an inch for bedding. Rather than mortising the slats into the side rails like shown I would just put an strip of oak 3/4"x 1 1/2" at the bottom of the rail, the full length of the rail. Since there is no box springs I think I would make the slats out of hardwood as well and screw them to the strip of oak on the side rail. That way if the children start jumping on the bed the side rails don't defect outward and let the slats fall. Depending on how ridgid the mattress is you might need to put a piece of 1/2" plywood over the slats for more support. I think you are right about the 3 1/2" side rails. I think they need to be 5" to 7" wide even using oak.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the opinions! And good idea about screwing down the slats... I've seen beds with them screwed and otherwise, but hadn't considered the benefits of screwing them down with rowdy play.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Piece of cake is right. Make it yourself. I will caution that if it's for children we recently had an incident where my 1 1/2 year old got stuck between her mattress and the frame because of a poor frame design (stupid hand-me-downs) that I haven't addressed yet. Don't make the gap for bedding too large. 1 inch should be more than sufficient as Steve indicated.

I've never understood not using a box spring, they're ridiculously cheap and make for a far more comfortable bed (in my opinion) but if you don't have one, definitely put some ply under the slats. Or even a buckie board like used for bunk beds.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM

View chopnhack's Photo Album My Photos
I did this for both my boys. Maybe this will give you some ideas. I never completed the article as it was turned down by one of the mags. Of interest to you would be the actual bed rails which are just plywood with some solid wood topping it.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I have a really nice rocking cradle, birch with a dark stain. Both my D1 and D2 slept in it.
I've been hanging onto that sucker for 35 years.
Now, it appears(?) that I will be a Grandpa, likely the end of October or so.
While I'm excited about that, I need to know how to refit that cradle for twins.
Yeah, my SIL shot off both barrels at once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode