Console table plan improvement discussion - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry Q

post #1 of 2 Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

View josh.givens's Photo Album My Photos
Console table plan improvement discussion

I'm currently in the process of building this piece (image is an example, not my work) as basically my first furniture build (minus a book shelf and a train table many years ago) with a more serious workshop. I'm very new to the world of woodworking and I thought this would be a good first project and something that would be a useful piece, not just something to build.

That being said, I've drilled enough pocket holes to make my eyes go crossed and thinking about filling all of those prior to finishing the project has got me thinking (for future work) there's got to be a better way.

Literally every joint is pocket screws minus attaching the top to the frame. Looking at this design, how would you improve it to reduce or eliminate the need for pocket holes? I thinking maybe mortise and tenon for the 2x2s beside the lower shelfs into the 2x4s, and that may not even be right, thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	farmhouse table.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	373345  

Josh Givens
South Central Kentucky
Beginner/Hobby craftsman

Last edited by josh.givens; 03-21-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
There are so many possible joints to use on a project like this. A perfect chance to learn something new. Here are a few examples out of one of my favorite books on furniture building called “illustrated cabinetmaking” by Bill Hylton

The book shows dozens if not hundred or more possible joints and their common applications. It also shows you how hundreds of different pieces of furniture are designed and put together. It does not tell you how to build it however, that is left up to your skills and tools.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
cstowers likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode