Woodworking Talk banner

Console table plan improvement discussion

744 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Terry Q 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm currently in the process of building this piece (image is an example, not my work) as basically my first furniture build (minus a book shelf and a train table many years ago) with a more serious workshop. I'm very new to the world of woodworking and I thought this would be a good first project and something that would be a useful piece, not just something to build.

That being said, I've drilled enough pocket holes to make my eyes go crossed and thinking about filling all of those prior to finishing the project has got me thinking (for future work) there's got to be a better way.

Literally every joint is pocket screws minus attaching the top to the frame. Looking at this design, how would you improve it to reduce or eliminate the need for pocket holes? I thinking maybe mortise and tenon for the 2x2s beside the lower shelfs into the 2x4s, and that may not even be right, thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are so many possible joints to use on a project like this. A perfect chance to learn something new. Here are a few examples out of one of my favorite books on furniture building called “illustrated cabinetmaking” by Bill Hylton

The book shows dozens if not hundred or more possible joints and their common applications. It also shows you how hundreds of different pieces of furniture are designed and put together. It does not tell you how to build it however, that is left up to your skills and tools.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.