cobbling together design - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 01-02-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
tws

View tws's Photo Album My Photos
cobbling together design

Greetings wood workers,

I'm trying to cobble together a compact 8x8' garden greenhouse using post and beam construction. Sizes 2x4, 4x4", 4x6" and possibly 6x6" (over lapped corners) for the base.

my intend is to use larger beams on the foundation and lighter ones for the trusses. i've found a couple of videos that depict the type of construction i'm looking for - notched beams using the newer construction screws to fasten.

the videos below depict a completed garden shed. I only need the skeletal frame AND no floor.

i can not find the plans for this particular construction but would very much like to reverse engineer the frame and extract and assemble only the timbers needed to have a solid wood framed box upon which i can clad the upper half and top with tufftex clear plastic and skirt the bottom with 1x10" cedar planks.

my hope is to refine the dimensions into a drawing/scale that depicts where notching and fitting happens. i figure (2) 4x4" uprights notched into the bottom beam between every 4x6"corner upright. and inlaid 2x4's all around at waist height to tie it together.

I'll frame for a single door. the foundation is pounded 3/4 minus gravel bed with leveled solid concert blocks on the corners. the bottom timbers will rest against the ground.

thankful if anyone has built something similar or has ideas, pictures or links to such plans.

tws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode