Cat steps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

View wsommariva's Photo Album My Photos
Cat steps

Hi everyone,

I'm planning cat steps for an old cat. 5 steps. 7" wide, 26" tall and 34" long, subject to change a bit. Sides will be 3/4" poplar plywood. Risers and steps will be 3/4" or so poplar stock. The sides will be identical; so I'm wondering what the best way is to cut them on the table saw. I'd like to try cutting both sides together one on top of another. I have a new cross cut plywood saw. Trim will cover all edges of the plywood, only center of ply will show. Alternitive is to cut each side seperately and hope they line up right.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM

View rrbell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsommariva
Hi everyone,

I'm planning cat steps for an old cat. 5 steps. 7" wide, 26" tall and 34" long, subject to change a bit. Sides will be 3/4" poplar plywood. Risers and steps will be 3/4" or so poplar stock. The sides will be identical; so I'm wondering what the best way is to cut them on the table saw. I'd like to try cutting both sides together one on top of another. I have a new cross cut plywood saw. Trim will cover all edges of the plywood, only center of ply will show. Alternitive is to cut each side seperately and hope they line up right.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
I think it would be pretty scarey trying to cut two pieces at once. It's easy enough to let your stock slip cutting one piece on the TS let alone cutting two and not being able to see how the cuts tracking on the bottom piece. I would cut one out on the line then cut one slightly over sized and use the first one as a pattern for my router and then chisel out the corners. Good luck, that's a lucky cat!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
You just stick them together with carpet tape or a couple of screws.

I'm having trouble picturing what the OP is doing though. If he wants two pieces the same width he sets the fence and rips two pieces the same width. Then if he wants them the same length, he sets a stop and cuts them to length. No need to do two at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

The sides of the steps look like a triangle with the steps cut into it. Each side must line up perfectly with the other side to attach the risers and steps.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 AM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Mirror Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsommariva View Post
The sides of the steps look like a triangle with the steps cut into it. Each side must line up perfectly with the other side to attach the risers and steps.
The two stringers for your stairs will need to be mirror images, which will make it impossible to cut with the same setups on a table saw.

You could jig up and do housed treads and risers with a router, but I think your overkilling the situation.

I'd recommend that you use butt joints, and pocket hole screws. The cat shouldn't weight more than 25-lbs, and you don't need a huge amount of strength. Lay them out with stair gauges and a square just like a carpenter would.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for that option.

I think I'm better off doing what you first suggested - screwing the two pieces together and making the cuts on the TS. My routing skills are very basic and angles drive me nuts.

I'll use rabbit joints and TB1 to attach the back to the stringers. And #8 1" FH woodscrews for good measure.

I may use rabbits to attach the risers to the stringers. Although the cat is 18 pounds or so, I'm concerned about moving the piece around.

I know we will pick it up my the steps to move it so they must be secured properly. I won't screw wood screws down into ply; may be a challenge but when I get there I'll deal with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode