Calling all door hinge experts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

View JoshSnow's Photo Album My Photos
Calling all door hinge experts

Hi Guys,
New to the forum. Hope this is the right section. Racking my brain on this one but haven't been able to come up with anything.
I'm no professional so I figured I'd ask and see if there was a simple solution out there first.

I have a recessed crawl space door that I cant figure out how to hinge due to the thickness of the door/pivot point of the hinge.
Would rather not have a hinge poking out of the floor for obvious reasons.
Hopefully the picture explains the situation but I can elaborate if it doesn't. Seems the door has to move away from the floor and up and the same time in a sweeping motion.
The arrow shows the desired movement of the door.
Thanks for looking

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CrawlSpace Door.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	369827  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2018, 06:15 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Is the crawl space in a closet or someplace not regularly walked on? You could just put common butt hinges on it. You might also just put a recessed pull ring on it and not hinge it at all. If the door was hinged it would be cumbersome getting in and out of there. If the door was lifted out and put aside it might be easier.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-29-2018, 11:16 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Is the crawl space in a closet or someplace not regularly walked on? You could just put common butt hinges on it. You might also just put a recessed pull ring on it and not hinge it at all. If the door was hinged it would be cumbersome getting in and out of there. If the door was lifted out and put aside it might be easier.
We have two access panels to the crawl space under the raised foundation of our house. They lift out. They are thick and heavy.

It is hard to imagine a hinge system that would work well enough to be useful. It would have to lift the thick panel up and then swing it out of the way, operating from underneath the panel. Our access panels are in closet floors, so that would mean clearing out extra space in the closet to make room for the swung-open panel, too.

We don't crawl under the house very often, so lift-out panels work best for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-29-2018, 11:27 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
We have two access panels to the crawl space under the raised foundation of our house. They lift out. They are thick and heavy.

It is hard to imagine a hinge system that would work well enough to be useful. It would have to lift the thick panel up and then swing it out of the way, operating from underneath the panel. Our access panels are in closet floors, so that would mean clearing out extra space in the closet to make room for the swung-open panel, too.

We don't crawl under the house very often, so lift-out panels work best for us.
It's not necessary to make an access panel that is heavy though. Most of the ones I see are made out of 3/4" hardwood flooring to match the flooring in the house. Usually there is just a piece of wood on the underside that is nailed crosswise across the flooring to hold it together. It's rigid enough a person can stand on it without a problem. Floors which are carpeted the panel is usually just 3/4" plywood with the same carpet fastened to it to where the panel almost disappears when in place.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-29-2018, 07:42 PM

View danrush's Photo Album My Photos
I think Soss hinges would work. They are designed for tight clearance. You will need to bevel cut the opening side of the door to clear the floor when opening.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to danrush For This Useful Post:
terryh (12-30-2018)
post #6 of 6 Old 12-29-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

View JoshSnow's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the responses guys.
I think youíre probably right about just lifting them out of the way. I have been renovating the house for the last six months so my opinion on the frequency of access is jaded.
The access doors are in the laundry room right in between the garage door and the back door. They are thick and heavy but they are also in a pretty high traffic area.
Iíll just put some recessed handles on & a protective edge on the tile to avoid chipping. Maybe a little rubber on the bottom of the door and a rug to cover it all.
Should work nicely. Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode