Cabinet Doors questions please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet Doors questions please

I hope this is the correct forum, feel free to move if not...

I hope I explain this correctly...

I am building a chemical cabinet (my term) which is the bookcase from class re-purposed.

The cabinet will be mounted on 2 cleats on the wall and used to hold chemicals in the shop - spray paint, stain, glue, cleaners etc. The largest containers are gallon containers - approx 6 of them. The doors will have shelves which will hold smaller containers such as spray paints, glue bottles etc.

The dimensions of the cabinet is 36H x 28 1/2 W x 8 D

The cabinet doors measure 36H x 14 1/8 W x 3 1/2 D with shelves (you can see the picture below). so the width of the 2 doors is 28 1/4 leaving a 1/4" gap

I've left a 1/4" gap between the door shelving units (again see picture) so the doors will be able to swing open.

Before I glue it together, my first question is:

Is this enough of a gap to allow the doors to open or do I need to cut the rails more - if so how much gap should I expect to have for the doors to open properly?

My next question is what kind of hinges would you suggest a newbie use? I was going to go with either regular door hinges (the large ones) mounted on the outside (not notched), or piano hinges mounted inside. Both types of hinges I've used on other projects and are about all I'm willing to tackle at this point.

Thanks as always in advance

Last edited by new2woodwrk; 01-02-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 02:18 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"The cabinet will be mounted on 2 cleats on the wall and used to hold chemicals in the shop - spray paint, stain, glue, cleaners etc. The largest containers are gallon containers - approx 6 of them. The doors will have shelves which will hold smaller containers such as spray paints, glue bottles etc"

Stop right and read what you have said. The key words are " hold chemicals in the shop" NO!! In the shop is not where you want to store volatile chemicals. Any that are not volatile are OK. The volatile ones are dangerous.

I built a cabinet that used basically 2x2's as a framework. It was covered with sheet metal. This cabinet is then hung on the outside of my house where any vapors are rapidly dispersed into the air. And where there is no spark to possibly ignite them. You can buy rolled sheet metal at most hardware/lumber stores.

I forgot about your door question so had to come back here. I have built doors like you are using, only deeper. One quarter of an inch should be good. I used piano hinges as they are less likely to allow the doors to sway down.

George
new2woodwrk likes this.

Last edited by GeorgeC; 01-02-2018 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 02:39 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Itís true that the best place to keep paints, stains and other flammable material is in a metal cabinet. But these materials are sold from open shelving in most stores.
So the important thing is to keep these materials in metal containers (cans) and keep the lids on securely and well away from any heat source.
Iíve kept these type materials in a wooden cabinet for 35 years. A metal cabinet would be preferred but Iím a woodworker not a metalworker.
new2woodwrk likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
"The cabinet will be mounted on 2 cleats on the wall and used to hold chemicals in the shop - spray paint, stain, glue, cleaners etc. The largest containers are gallon containers - approx 6 of them. The doors will have shelves which will hold smaller containers such as spray paints, glue bottles etc"

Stop right and read what you have said. The key words are " hold chemicals in the shop" NO!! In the shop is not where you want to store volatile chemicals. Any that are not volatile are OK. The volatile ones are dangerous.

George
Thanks for you response George - the shop is my garage and the chemicals are pretty much paints and stains.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
Thanks for you response George - the shop is my garage and the chemicals are pretty much paints and stains.
You do not use any paint thinners or solvents? Solvents are particularity dangerous.Oil base paints are very flammable. Many/most people do not recognize that the cleaning rags that they use with solvents should be taken outside and not left in the shop. They can spontaneously combust.

My garage is also my shop. Does not matter what your shop is. Safety is safety. Making a cabinet that stays outside is cheap and simple. Does not need metal working skills. You just have to be able to bend thin metal around a corner.

Where do you keep your spare gasoline can(s). They should also be outside. These are also stored in my cabinet.

Toolman said these materials are sold in stores. True, but the stores do not deal with containers that have been opened. Big difference. Stores also have automatic sprinkler systems.

George
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response @GeorgeC and your concern
Quote:
You do not use any paint thinners or solvents? Solvents are particularity dangerous.Oil base paints are very flammable. Many/most people do not recognize that the cleaning rags that they use with solvents should be taken outside and not left in the shop. They can spontaneously combust.
No solvents, no - my thinner (I only have 1 and not much of it left) is outside under a different workbench setup for painting. I do my painting finishing outside usually.

Quote:
Where do you keep your spare gasoline can(s). They should also be outside. These are also stored in my cabinet.
I have an aluminum shed at the far end of my yard where we keep the dangerous chemicals - gas, chlorine, oil etc.

Last edited by new2woodwrk; 01-02-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode