Cabinet design - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolman50

post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet design

I have been slowly building my shop and acquiring skills and tools (mostly hand tools, with the exception if a drill, circular saw, router, and cheap bench top band saw). Thus far I have constructed a couple of picture frames, and obviously my workbench and some winding sticks for planing panels.

My goal is to construct a cabinet to place over the toilet in my bathroom, and I think I am comfortable enough with my tools to start it, but I am having some trouble with design of the cabinet.

I know how big I want it to be, what the legs will look like and how to attach them o the body of the cabinet. I know I'm making raised panel doors with mitered corners for simplicity - no tennons or special router bits necessary.

But the part I'm not certain of is what I use for the back of the cabinet. I don't have a table saw, and working with sheet goods is a bit difficult with hand tools. What did people do for cabinet backs before plywood was invented? Half lap boards/beadboard? If so, what is it that keeps the cabinet square? Additional rails in the back of the cabinet at a few points, maybe?

Basically what I need to know is, what are my options for the back of a cabinet? Can I use solid wood rather than plywood, and if so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It would be a lot easier for you and make a better cabinet if you would purchase a circular saw and make the back out of 1/4" plywood. If you like woodworking you should really consider getting a table saw. Don't get one too small though. Some saws are made little so a person can carry the saw to a jobsite. Buying a used saw is often a better value. Saws tend to last a lifetime and if you get one that hasn't be obviously abused it shouldn't give you any trouble.

Before plywood a back to the cabinet was usually a tongue and groove frame with thin pieces of flat wood for panels. Sometimes beadboard slats were also used. Sometimes there was no back, the wall made the back of the cabinet. In any case these methods does little to hold the cabinet square and strong.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I suggest you forget the legs on the cabinet and build it to hang on the wall over the toilet
Once you've built your cabinet, you can take accurate measurements and have the 1/4" plywood back cut for you at a big box store.
I agree with Steve, if you plan to make woodworking your hobby, you will need an electric saw.
GeorgeC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I suggest you forget the legs on the cabinet and build it to hang on the wall over the toilet
Once you've built your cabinet, you can take accurate measurements and have the 1/4" plywood back cut for you at a big box store.
I agree with Steve, if you plan to make woodworking your hobby, you will need an electric saw.
Keep it simple.
I made this shelf using simple but joints with glue and brad nails. I used double sided carpet tape to keep the two sides together while I cut the curved part.

The back is bead board from the big box store. I only needed part of the package the pieces came in.

Good luck.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160104_192409.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	212441  

Attached Images

post #5 of 10 Old 06-30-2017, 11:31 PM

View Djracerd8769's Photo Album My Photos
sorry wrong thread....

Last edited by Djracerd8769; 06-30-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: noob mistake
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Eliminating the legs was also my first thought. Not only do they complicate the job, they would look funny in that particular usage.

The cabinet you are discribing is not overly large. I do not think that it would be an overly difficult job to cut the plywood with a manual saw. I would recommend a Japanese pull saw or similar. I could never cut a straight line with a standard line. When I discovered the pull saw the whole thing changed. Now I am no longer afraid to use a hand saw.

Just take your time and have everything in a comfortable position.

George

PS However, I also agree that it would be most convenient to have an electric saw.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2017, 12:29 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
OP has a circular saw.
With a straight edge clamped to the sheet goods used as a saw guide, cutting a cabinet back should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 PM

View Djracerd8769's Photo Album My Photos
Hello. Sheet goods are often a major part of cabinetry, and not having a table saw for a novice wood worker is not a huge deal.

There are other ways to break down sheets, the cheapest of them is to lay out marks on the sheet. Measure the guard on your circular saw to the edge of your blade. Transfer that measurement onto the sheet from your previous marks and clamp a 2x4 or any other straight edge board to the sheet and use it as a fence for the saw.

Another simpler approach will cost you a few dollars BUT is much simpler and faster. Go to Lowe's and purchase a Kreg rip saw jig. It attaches right to the circular saw and is easily adjusted for the rip.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-02-2017, 01:45 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I can't haul a full 4'x8' sheet of wood in my Tahoe, so I will get the sheet cut to 7' when I buy it. Free cut. I can load 7' x 4'.
Still a 7 x 4' sheet of 3/4" is too large for me to handle easily in my small shop so I break it down a little further when I get it home using my portable circular saw. Now I'm ready to start the project.
If you don't own a table saw, you can still build cabinets with a only portable circular saw. Many do.
A table saw is faster, but if you're competent with a Skilsaw, you can build some very nice cabinets.
A lot of job-site contractors will mount a Skilsaw under a sheet of plywood to give them a homemade table Saw of sorts. I personally have never mounted a Skilsaw. I prefer to cut from the top verses the bottom when using a Skilsaw.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-02-2017, 02:56 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Use bead board for the back and put a nailer near the top to hang the cabinet by. Forget the legs. A small cabinet probably doesn't need anything additional to keep it square. Just cut you parts square and your in. Screws are far better than nails. You will want to use a Skill saw for lots of cuts, guide it with a board clamped to the work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode