Built-in Entertainment Center, Pantry and Book Shelves - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By danrush
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-29-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 788
View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Built-in Entertainment Center, Pantry and Book Shelves

I have three new projects in our new home. We have been here just over a year and have finally determined that in order to survive on a daily basis. We need a pantry which will be built against two existing walls and two walls I add. The interior is likely going to be mostly shelving with a couple of cabinets for appliance storage. An entertainment center with cabinets at the bottom and shelving up top for some of my epoxy/wood turnings. Finally, a built-in set of book shelves with storage cabinets below for games.

I will not be suing MDF as we have way too much humidity around here so it will be painted plywood for all projects. The only electrical outlets and such are already in place or will be moved up (for the TV in the EC). A couple of can lights in the area around the book case for reading and a game table.

My biggest concerns will be what size plywood to use for the base cabinets? For all I need to keep the base cabinets at 18" depth so I don't take up too much space and EC the cabinets will be 20" to accommodate for electronics. All cabinets will be built one at a time so no sharing of plywood since I will be using adjustable shelf pins. In short, in an effort to save some money, would it be wise to use 1/2" plywood since the heaviest thing any of this will be supporting is the HT receiver which is around 35 pounds, or, should I just suck it up and spend the big bucks?

For the record, my local wood supplier has furniture grade plywood at $89 for 3/4 and $65 for 1/2". My wallet says go 1/2" but if there's a solid reason to stick with 3/4", I'm open to suggestion!

Pantry will be 6'x7' with base/upper cabinets on two walls and shelving on one wall (fourth wall is doorway).

EC will be 12.5' long floor to ceiling (8') with base cabinets for turntable (full slide drawer with drop down front), receiver and album storage in drawers. Upper will be open shelving and speaker cabinets with acoustic cloth door fronts.

Book cases will be base cabinets with lighted top shelf units on top for books. It will be L-shaped 6' and 9' length meeting in the middle with a corner cabinet of some sort.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Mr Mac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 788
View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
64 views and no opinion on 1/2 or 3/4 plywood for the intended use? Odd for this group.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Mr Mac is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Mike
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Lawrenceville Ga.
Posts: 112
View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
This is the first time I've seen this, sorry.
I would use 3/4" because.
1. Joinery. 3/8" dadoes & rabbits vs 1/4"
2. 3/4' will bear more weight.
3. Adjustable shelf hardware if you plan to use any. 1/2" doesn't leave much room for pins or tracks.
4. Hardware. more holding ability for hing screws etc.
3/4' is a better choice IMHO.
Pretender is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Member
 
WoodyWeekends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: STL
Posts: 32
View WoodyWeekends's Photo Album My Photos
1/2" should be fine

Woody
WoodyWeekends is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,718
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I was view #38. I did not respond because I do not have the experience to help. Sorry.

Speaking only for myself, kitchen cabinets last a long time, and the plywood is only a part of the overall cost of the project. I would not try to economize on plywood if the more expensive choice is a better choice. Amortized over the life of the project, the cost difference is small. I would go with whatever the experts say is the best choice. Hopefully others will notice and offer good advice.
Tool Agnostic is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,613
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
If you used 3/4 for finished ends how many sheets will you need.

Give us a drawing.on paper and send us a picture of it...
Rebelwork is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 788
View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Give us a drawing.on paper and send us a picture of it...
I would love to...as soon as she gives me clear enough direction!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Mr Mac is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Tony B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dickinson, Tx.
Posts: 4,058
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The 3/4" will always be better. As a matter of fact, if you use 1/2", eventually you will rebuild with 3/4" so might as well use 3/4" on the first go around.
Joining the tops, bottoms, etc, is not reasonable with 1/2" And as stated earlier - not much room for pins and tracks.
Also, shelves will sag, they just do, 3/4" holds substantially more weight than 1/2". The sides might bow outward with 1/2"
Rarely does cheaping out work out.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.


"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Tony B is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 11:52 AM
Member
 
WoodyWeekends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: STL
Posts: 32
View WoodyWeekends's Photo Album My Photos
Using 1/2" for the boxes is not necessarily cheeping out. My parent had a kitchen build by Amish some 20 odd years odd years ago with a granit counter top and it still stands just like the first day it was installed. The shelves are 3/4".

I built many kitches from 3/4" and 1/2", commercial and residential. However, with 1/2" plywwod sides i used 1/2" plywood backs, with 3/4" sides i used 1/4" backs.


DO NOT use 1/2" particleboard or MDF.

Woody
WoodyWeekends is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 47
View danrush's Photo Album My Photos
I've installed many thousands of cabinet boxes, probably pretty evenly split between 1/2" and 3/4" sides. The poorly built boxes fell apart, regardless of side panel thickness. The opposite holds true for well built cabinets.

Proper building techniques, using the correct mechanical fasteners and glues, and a good installation will provide a long lasting cabinet job with either side thickness.

Side a material thickness is one of the last things I might look at when evaluating a cabinet for its construction or suitability for an application.
WoodyWeekends and SWrick like this.
danrush is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 AM
An Old Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 113
View SWrick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
I have three new projects in our new home. We have been here just over a year and have finally determined that in order to survive on a daily basis. We need a pantry which will be built against two existing walls and two walls I add. The interior is likely going to be mostly shelving with a couple of cabinets for appliance storage. An entertainment center with cabinets at the bottom and shelving up top for some of my epoxy/wood turnings. Finally, a built-in set of book shelves with storage cabinets below for games.

I will not be suing MDF as we have way too much humidity around here so it will be painted plywood for all projects. The only electrical outlets and such are already in place or will be moved up (for the TV in the EC). A couple of can lights in the area around the book case for reading and a game table.

My biggest concerns will be what size plywood to use for the base cabinets? For all I need to keep the base cabinets at 18" depth so I don't take up too much space and EC the cabinets will be 20" to accommodate for electronics. All cabinets will be built one at a time so no sharing of plywood since I will be using adjustable shelf pins. In short, in an effort to save some money, would it be wise to use 1/2" plywood since the heaviest thing any of this will be supporting is the HT receiver which is around 35 pounds, or, should I just suck it up and spend the big bucks?

For the record, my local wood supplier has furniture grade plywood at $89 for 3/4 and $65 for 1/2". My wallet says go 1/2" but if there's a solid reason to stick with 3/4", I'm open to suggestion!

Pantry will be 6'x7' with base/upper cabinets on two walls and shelving on one wall (fourth wall is doorway).

EC will be 12.5' long floor to ceiling (8') with base cabinets for turntable (full slide drawer with drop down front), receiver and album storage in drawers. Upper will be open shelving and speaker cabinets with acoustic cloth door fronts.

Book cases will be base cabinets with lighted top shelf units on top for books. It will be L-shaped 6' and 9' length meeting in the middle with a corner cabinet of some sort.
Regardless of the effects of humidity, I would almost always choose to use plywood over MDF for many reasons !
SWrick is online now  
post #12 of 16 Old 06-04-2020, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,613
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWrick View Post
Regardless of the effects of humidity, I would almost always choose to use plywood over MDF for many reasons !

What's "almost always" mean?
Rebelwork is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 06-04-2020, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,613
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I helped a shop out here in Odessa called Mike Netherton cabinets. He used 1/2 for his core boxes. Much more work to get a straight square box..

I've built cabinets everyway possible from residential to commercial. I've used everything from Senco Senclamps to pocket holes to M&T, but I won't use 1/2 for boxes....
Rebelwork is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 06-04-2020, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 547
View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
I always use 3/4" ply for base cabs.
The most important thing is to build them correctly and cut your part accurate and square.

You'll need to to some edge banding. Preglued iron on wood banding is one option.

Robert
DrRobert is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 06-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,718
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
What's "almost always" mean?
FEMA emergency temporary housing?
Tool Agnostic is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 788
View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
The decision has been made on what she wants! It will be 3/4" plywood from my local lumber store. Thanks all for the advice.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Mr Mac is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome