6Likes
  • 2 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Mikhail2400
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By gj13us

post #1 of 20 Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

View RustyB's Photo Album My Photos
built-in desk

If you were going to make a built-in desk, would you use 1"x or 2"x wood. And 4" wide, 6" wide, 12" wide or what would be most stable?

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-03-2018, 04:31 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Rusty, it would help to know the overall size of the desk top.
will there be a base that has drawers? or, just on 2 or 4 legs.
the wood that you intend to use will also be a factor in getting
the correct responses.
and when you say "built in" desk - built in to what ??
drawings, sketches and photos of examples will also help.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 10-03-2018 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

No drawers, just a desktop built into the corner of my home office. Attached to the walls. About 2' x 4'. I am just wondering if I use 1" thick wood, if it will warp over time, if made out of several pieces and how wide of dimension lumber would be best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 02:43 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If you put two 3/4” pieces of plywood together, this will give you a good strong and flat 1 1/2” thick top.
Use wood tape or solid wood on the exposed edge.
Plywood comes in many different hardwood veneers and can finish out beautifully.
The bottom piece of plywood can be Fir because it won’t be seen.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Wife won't go for plywood.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyB View Post

She will not know the difference if you face it with solid lumber.

In a desk that small I do not think you need to laminate two pieces of 3/4" plywood together.

George
post #7 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

She does woodworking too. Cannot use plywood.

post #8 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
If done well, no one can tell it’s plywood. I’m not talking about construction grade ply here. I’m talking hardwood veneer which is what you get when you go to the furniture store and buy a good desk.
Tool Agnostic and intrepid like this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 20 Old 10-05-2018, 12:35 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
She does woodworking too. Cannot use plywood.
Funniest post ive seen yet.
How about a torsion box style frame with hardwood 1/2x6" boards glued together for a top. Would that work? Good luck with the desk and the wife.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-09-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I guess no one has any ideas. Plywood would look like crap in a room with 120 year old oak hardwood floor. Maybe I will post a picture when it is done.

post #11 of 20 Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I guess no one has any ideas. Plywood would look like crap in a room with 120 year old oak hardwood floor. Maybe I will post a picture when it is done.
Not exactly:

* Others have posted ideas. Just because you didn't like them does not mean that "no one has any ideas."

* Many of the people here (including me) would disagree that "plywood would look like crap in a room with 120 year old oak hardwood floor." In my opinion, shared by others, you could build a fine desk from plywood that would not look like crap with your 120 year old hardwood floor.

* With no disrespect to you or your wife, I do not understand your comment, "She does woodworking too. Cannot use plywood." If she does woodworking, then she should understand about plywood, its many varieties, and how the right choice of plywood could be appropriate for a use like this, although it is not the only solution. Plywood offers some advantages, and can look as good as a solid hardwood desk.

* Maybe it is just a point of pride to be able to say, "I didn't use plywood." That's fine, but don't try to argue that "plywood would look like crap..." The cheap plywood that you get at the big box store would look like crap, but nobody here was thinking about using that stuff for a fine desk.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Now I remember why I quit this forum before, I had mistaken it for a woodworker's forum. Real woodworkers use real wood, not plywood.

post #13 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos

Last edited by Mikhail2400; 10-10-2018 at 03:23 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 AM

View damnfool woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't use plywood at all. It is a huge waste. Plywood offalls will usually sit in the corner some where never to be reused. Solid stock offalls are always reusable, especially on glue ups. As you know the wider the board will increase warpage and better grain definition. Narrower boards are less likely to warp but the grain gets busier and you have to watch for color and grain variations. Either way build a little slip factor into top if it's fastened to a wall or frame. In 10 years that top can be reused for something else-It still has value as solid lumber. I have learned to quit rushing to get done, the longer my projects take to get done the better they get.

Rich

Last edited by damnfool woodworks; 10-10-2018 at 02:12 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Now I remember why I quit this forum before, I had mistaken it for a woodworker's forum. Real woodworkers use real wood, not plywood.
I am calling BS on that statement. You have a right to your opinion, but others disagree with you, including me. There are many people who use plywood and consider themselves "real woodworkers."

The good people in these forums have taken time out to give you their best advice. You may choose to accept it or not. They deserve your appreciation, not your insults.
FrankC and Mikhail2400 like this.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 11:22 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
with TWO woodworkers in the house, it shouldn't be that difficult to find
some 120 year old oak hardwood and make the table to fit the room.
and use the same techniques and hardware that was used 120 years ago.
it seems like you want to stay within the vintage home's theme, which is admirable.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #17 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 11:52 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
This is plywood. From Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	367066  

post #18 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
This is the desk in my office (at work). It's over 100 years old and the top is not solid lumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curly top.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	367070  

Mikhail2400 likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-10-2018, 01:09 PM

View damnfool woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I am calling BS on that statement. You have a right to your opinion, but others disagree with you, including me. There are many people who use plywood and consider themselves "real woodworkers."

The good people in these forums have taken time out to give you their best advice. You may choose to accept it or not. They deserve your appreciation, not your insults.
I truly did not intend to insult anyone and I don't see where the insult is. Using plywood does not make you less of a woodworker, I just prefer using solid stock. I have worked in this industry for most of my life and yes everyone use some form of plywood including me. I just like the challenge of not using it and my shop is not cluttered with plywood scraps. Again sorry if I insulted anyone

Rich
post #20 of 20 Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfool woodworks View Post
I truly did not intend to insult anyone and I don't see where the insult is. Using plywood does not make you less of a woodworker, I just prefer using solid stock. I have worked in this industry for most of my life and yes everyone use some form of plywood including me. I just like the challenge of not using it and my shop is not cluttered with plywood scraps. Again sorry if I insulted anyone
You are apologizing for @RustyB's statement, not your own. Nobody read any insults from your writing.

There is nothing wrong with preferring to work with solid stock, either you or RustyB, but that does not say anything about those who choose to work with plywood. Despite RustyB prejudices, I believe that woodworkers can touch plywood and still remain woodworkers. I have seen amazing woodworking art and craftsmanship that incorporated plywood.

RustyB could have said "Thank you for the suggestions, but I would prefer to build this with solid wood, not plywood. Can you recommend ideas that use solid wood and would blend well with my 120 year old hardwood floor?" In his original post that started the thread, RustyB didn't bother to mention a requirement to use solid wood or his desire to blend with a 120 year old oak hardwood floor. The reference to the hardwood floor didn't appear until six days after the original post.

Several people, including me, took time out of our busy days to offer suggestions and assistance to RustyB, and then RustyB threw it all back in our face, insulting us and the WoodworkingTalk forums in the process. Yeah, I take offense at that.

Let us pray that Rusty finds the perfect forum that hosts only real woodworkers who work exclusively with solid wood. Make sure it excludes all of us non-woodworkers who have ever touched anything else, such as plywood, MDF, melamine, acrylic, metal, etc. In the meantime, Rusty will have to settle for the imperfect Woodworking Talk. So sad, really, being stuck here and getting no ideas; all he got was useless advice from all of us non-woodworkers. :-(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode